FORUMS: list search recent posts

Long render times with animated titles from Marquee

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Kay
Long render times with animated titles from Marquee
on Jul 19, 2013 at 1:50:46 pm

Recently I was constructing lower thirds for a show that was being built. I hadn't used animated titles before and looked at some simple animations for bringing them in and out (simple scaling and rotation). Rendering the title (15 sec duration, 1 layer, 1 text box, 1 shape with border, 1 shape with drop shadow) from marquee took a little over 10 minutes and then required about 5 minutes of render each time it was placed on the timeline.

For the first few episodes I avoided this and just rendered out a single frame and faded in titles as usual. Rendering the single frame of the title took less than 2 seconds (2 seconds from "save to bin" to being back on MC timeline). I can't say that I notice any longer render times from the single frame than I do for any other title I've created or modified. What particularly confuses me is that the real-time preview of the title within marquee doesn't have any slowdown issues.

I would like to be able to use animated titles, but right now the render times are prohibitive. I can separate the title into two titles (shapes + text) and only re-render the text when necessary, but that feels like a workaround that I shouldn't need.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Long render times with animated titles from Marquee
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:22:39 pm

I've always found Marquee to have brutally long render times. I've avoided using it for that reason. I've been an Avid user since the late 1990s. It's one of several Avid features that has not been updated or developed much over the years.

You might want to give AvidFX, which is really a re-branded version of Boris Red that launches from within Media Composer, a try. It's very powerful and may render faster. AvidFX came with your system, if you bothered to install it.

Avid MC7 also includes NewBlue Title Pro, which I have not yet tested.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 21, 2013 at 6:28:39 pm

Its unfortunate to hear that. So far I had been very impressed with Marquee.

I do have AvidFX and have been bringing that into the work process a little bit, but have had little success beyond using effects from the library. There is something at a base level in that software that just isn't clicking with me; I am pretty darn good with After Effects, but often can't make heads or tails of AvidFX.

I'm certain AvidFX would make animated titles and of course have far wider range of options than Marquee, but I'm not at all enthusiastic about incorporating it as a title tool.

I'm still on 6.0 and most likely won't upgrade for another 4 months, so NewBlue isn't an immediate solution, though I am definitely interested in hearing others feedback from it.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:41:18 pm

If you are able to use AE, why not use it? Generate the asset, Import as and Alpha Matte, and no need to render....

Keep the project as a Template and then you have what you need to make additional files...

Anything and everything to avoid the Avid Title Tool, as well as Marquee...

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 25, 2013 at 5:18:19 pm

Most of my titles in Marquee take about 15 seconds to go from editing on MC timeline, back to editing on MC timeline. If it takes longer then its because I'm spending time paying attention that the text itself is correct factually and grammatically. There is just no way that AE->MC can approach this level of efficiency.

Well, except for animated titles apparently... At this point I'd rather just not do animated titles than try to bring AE into the workflow.

I certainly don't think that Marquee is the 'bees knees' or whatever the kids say now a days, but I also don't fully understand a lot of the disdain that it gets. I originally worked on the title tools from Premiere/FCP, and I have found that Marquee is an amazing step beyond those in terms of power, versatility, and speed for still graphics. It has decent provisions in place to create animated graphics, that just apparently falls apart completely at the render.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 27, 2013 at 5:11:14 pm

Yes. Marquee is very good with still graphics. Its render engine is old and its pretty clear Avid isn't really interested in improving anything about Marquee. It hasn't changed at all in about 8 years..maybe more.

In FCP7, the built in titler is more awful than the basic Avid Title Tool, but Motion, which came with it, was awesome. FCPX native titles are too template based for my taste...and it does not have the same integration with Motion its predecessor had. Premiere Pro CS 6 and CC have very good built in title tools and great integration with AE for more complex stuff.

New Blue Title Pro 1.0 comes free with Avid 7. New Blue Title Pro 2.0 is $200. Its compatible as far back as Avid 5.0 and there is a free trial. It is GPU accelerated, so it will probably render faster than Marquee, if you have a recommended card. You might want to give the trial a go and see if it does the trick for you. Doesn't look like there would be a big learning curve from Marquee.

http://www.newbluefx.com/product/titler-pro#compatibility

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]