FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Frame rates and formates mid project

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Marx
Changing Frame rates and formates mid project
on Jul 17, 2013 at 5:47:19 pm

Hi,
So I started working on a project shot on a 5D at 1080p FPS 24.98 but by mistake opened the project in 1080i/50. I transcoded the AMA files I was working with in DNxHD 120 and have already began editing.
Now I have noticed that some of the footage is looking a bit off. I would like to keep the editing I have done so far. Is their any way for me to finish editing and then re-import the materials in a better format?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Changing Frame rates and formates mid project
on Jul 18, 2013 at 12:00:07 am

Hopefully Michael or Job will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope I am...but I believe that you need to start from scratch. Once you transcoded, you converted the footage from one frame rate to another (DNxHD 120 is a PAL compression). There is no way to open a correct project, transcode the media right, and then relink to the existing sequence, because the frame rate is wrong.

What I'd do is consolidate the cut...what you have...with handles. Keep that media, but get rid of the rest of the wrongly converted media. Make a new project with the correct settings, put the CUTS bin of your current cut in there...transcode all of the media properly, and then rebuild the cut, using the transcoded one as a reference...to get you the right clip name, and close to the right timecode.

Hopefully someone will have better news...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 18, 2013 at 12:58:13 am

Shane is right on with his advice. Once you hit "transcode" and you get that rather draconian message that this is now a new clip and will lose all relationship to it's camera original - that's what you got. Don't get me started that it could be designed to deal with that, but what are you gonna do?!?!?

So what Shane advises is the best way to go. Something to try, and no guarantees, is to transcode back in a 1080p/23.976 project, and then do a relink to selected to the correctly managed clips. There's a chance it will work and you may only have to reword ins and outs that may have shifted due to the 23/976/25 timecode rate. In theory, it might just work. I will give it a try myself on a few clips when I get the time. Perhaps Job has tried something like this coming from the PAL world.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 18, 2013 at 1:44:54 am

Well.... I made it work. I need to redo it a few times and take careful notes, but I was able to get a 1080i/50 transcoded sequence from 23.976 to relink back to the original media in a 1080p/23.976 project and cuts are right on or off by 1 frame.

Stay tuned.

I will write something up and it to my blog at http://24p.com/wordpress/

Michael

Return to posts index

Jonathan Marx
on Jul 18, 2013 at 2:06:28 pm

Wow.... Thanks for the help. Always a pleasure to present a challenge others haven't addressed and inspire a solution none the less.
Looking forward to reading your blog.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 20, 2013 at 6:53:27 pm

Here is the promised workflow steps for doing this. Now on my blog site. Good luck!

http://24p.com/wordpress/?p=22

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]