FORUMS: list search recent posts

No media can be written to any mounted drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel Feliciano
No media can be written to any mounted drive
on Jul 16, 2013 at 6:11:11 pm

This problem is probably related to a previous post, but now is with my new Media Composer 7 installation.

I'm having a lot of problems with my two Avid licenses (Media Composer 7 and Symphony 6.5). My Symphony system doesn't recognize any external drives as media drives. Only the four internal drives (inside the Mac Pro) are listed in Media Tool.

I noticed the problem when I tried to edit something on a new Symphony 6.5 installation. It didn't recognize the external Mini-SAS Disk Array. So I decided to try a firewire drive and a usb drive. I made sure all Permisions were set to Read & Write, but this didn't fix the problem. I then move the USB and the firewire drives to the Macbook Pro running Media Composer 7 and only the USB drive is recognized as a media drive. If I unmount the USB drive and leave the firewire drive, I get a message saying "No media can be written to any mounted drive. Please check write permissions". Like I said all permissions are set to "Read and Write".

I'm getting frustrated and feel like opening Premiere Pro CC and start editing, but I need to get this problem fixed since I spent a lot of money on Avid licenses (full and upgrades).

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: No media can be written to any mounted drive
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:25:32 pm

What happens if you type "alldrives 1" into the Console (CMD-6)?

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Jul 19, 2013 at 11:06:59 pm

Nothing happens when I type "alldrives" or "alldrives 1" in the console. Media Composer and Symphony still won't recognize the firewire and the G-Speed mini-sas drive. Can you tell me what is the difference between "alldrives" with and without the number 1?. I noticed that when you type the 1 on this command, you have to use the 1 from the main keyboard, if I use the 1 in the numeric keypad I get an audible "error" alarm and it doesn't take the command. Where can I learn how to use the "Console"?

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Jul 19, 2013 at 11:14:55 pm

Here is more details about the problem after more testing.

On the 2012 Macbook Pro (core i7) running OS X 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)

Media Composer 7.0

LaCie Rugged SSD (format: ExFat)

It is recognized as Media Drive via thunderbolt and USB 3.0

G-Technology G-Dirve Mini (format: Mac OS Extended-Journaled)

Connections: Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 > Not recognized as Media Drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 2009 Mac Pro (8-core) running OS X 10.7.5 (Lion)

Symphony 6.5.3

LaCie Rugged SSD (format: ExFat)

It is recognized a Media Drive by the Symphony via USB 2.0

G-Technology G-Dirve Mini (format: Mac OS Extended-Journaled)

Connections: Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 > Not recognized as Media Drive.

G-Technology G-Speed eS Pro (format: Mac OS Extended)

Connection: Mini SAS > Not recognized as Media Drive

Note; This computer has 4 internal WD SATA drives with six partitions in total, all of them are recognized as Media Drives by the Symphony; except for the OS partitions of course. The ExFat formatted LaCie SSD is the most compatible of all. I use Paragon to write to the NTFS formatted drive and it works great as a Media Drive. For the G-Speed, I use the supplied ATTO R680 raid controller. It was formatted and configured for raid 0 at the factory and it works great with Adobe Premiere Pro in the same system.

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Jul 29, 2013 at 2:56:47 pm

After many tests and clean installations, I narrowed down the problem to the 2 G-technology drives (one firewire and one mini-SAS Raid). I remembered that I never formatted these drives, since they came preformatted for Mac and ready to use out of the box. So, I decided to re-format the smaller of the two first, since it was easier to backup. That fixed the issue and both, Media Composer and Symphony finally recognized the drive. Now it was time for the G-Speed eS Pro. I went ahead and created a new folder to keep all my other folders organized in one place, ready for the backup. Much to my surprise, I didn't have to re-format the drive, it was recognized immediately by MC and Symphony. To me, it is still a mystery why a simple re-organization of my files seems to have solved the problem. Go figure...

Just want to thank you all for your suggestions!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]