FORUMS: list search recent posts

Possible to convert a 30i project to 1080i?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
Possible to convert a 30i project to 1080i?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:07:55 pm

So I'm relatively new to Avid, and I seem to have made the biggest mistake possible. When 99% done with a very elaborate project, I realized that my initial settings were for a 30i project, instead of a 1080i one. I thought that the high number of layers that I was using was causing the low image quality or something, and expected it to be fine when I exported it. Turns out, not so much.

Is there any way to switch it over? I tried changing the settings in the project to no avail.

I've already started "reassembling" it in a project with initial 1080i settings, but I've gone home for the day. It'd be nice to not spend the first half of tomorrow redoing an old project.

Thanks,

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Possible to convert a 30i project to 1080i?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 11:31:10 pm

What are you trying to convert? Switching the project to 1080i is the first step. Is it an issue with the quality of the images? Anything rendered in 30i would be SD so material would need to be recaptured, re-imported, etc. Are you original assets HD?

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:16:45 am

Ah, that's what I was afraid of/expected.

This project is actually something like 90% still images and text that I've got moving around on the screen (stock photos growing a tad with words under them) so I'm not really sure if those count as HD or not. The remaining 10% is the pre0made animated background image (SD) and an animated bit that I did in After Effects (HD).

All I know is there's already an enormous noticeable difference between the old version and the new version that I've started with the correct presets.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:19:38 am

You should be able to re-batch import the files into the clips. Try it on a few clips, but you can do a bunch at a time.

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:22:00 am

OK, but will I still have to redo all the editing?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:25:20 am

No - go to the master clip from the original import. Delete the media, NOT THE CLIP!. Highlight the clip and go to Clip - Batch Import. Find original clip, resolution, etc. I'm hoping you were working in NTSC 16:9 for the moves...

Michael

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:15:56 am

OK, just so we're 100% clear before I start deleting anything:

I delete the imported media in the bin. Do I delete the associated media files too? Then I re-import the media, and it should now be HD. Does it matter if I batch import it or not?

Thanks again,

Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:22:33 am

Delete the associated media - keep the master clips in the bin. Or just select a few clips in your bin, choose to Batch Import and choose All Clips. Import and your sequence will update with the new HD imports.

Batch import only - this will auto update in your sequence. If you do a regular import you'll have to edit the new imports into your sequence.

The batch imports will be HD if you are still in an HD project.

This might help explain batch importing a bit:
http://library.creativecow.net/hancock_michael/Avid-Media-Composer_Batch/1

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:35:40 am

Why not HIDE the old media, just in case. Change the name of the numbered folder in your Avid MediaFiles>MXF path to something like "OLD MEDIA." This will throw EVERYTHING offline, however. But it will still be there if you need to go back, just name the folder "1" again.

Or am I getting to complicated?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:39:47 am

Nope, I got that perfectly.

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:04:36 pm

This is working great, thanks everyone!

One small thing, though: Is there a way to replace the text that I made via the Title Tool, or will I have to redo that?

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:20:21 pm

Oh hey, I managed to make this work by opening the clips on the timeline in the Title Tool (via Effect Editor), and then doing a Save As, and giving them the same name and putting them in the same bin as before.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Jul 16, 2013 at 1:21:10 pm

Select your titles in your bin and delete the associated media files (uncheck "delete X effect clip(s)".

Open your timeline - titles are now offline. With the timeline active go to Clip-->Re-Create Title Media.

Pick your drive and resolution (you'll see that you now have HD resolution options). Avid will recreate your titles and you're done! If you keyframed them, it keeps that too. Just remakes the title in HD.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]