FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why can't we have more than one project window? And other remarks about bin management in project window.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicolas remond
Why can't we have more than one project window? And other remarks about bin management in project window.
on Jul 12, 2013 at 2:24:29 am

Hi,

I've been using Media Composer for years with great satisfaction, but there is one limitation that always bugs me: why can't I open more than one project window?

For large project with many folders and a large quantity of bins, it makes navigating in bins and moving material in the project window quite cumbersome.

Let say I want to move several bins from a folder to another folder. It should be a simple operation. But sometimes you can have a large number of bins in the project window, making it quite cluttered, and in this case it is extremely cumbersome if, say, the folder of origin is at the bottom of the project window, and the destination folder is somewhere near the top.

In Microsoft Windows, to perform the same task, you would simply open two explorer windows side by side, and then proceed with reorganising and dispatching.

I regret that Media Composer, with all its robust media management power (including the awesome Search tool), doesn't allow more flexibility in the project window. Alphabetical and "Flat view" are basically the only options you have, which seems rather poor. Wouldnt it be great to be able to sift bins according to some choosable criterias? To reorganise the bins in different views? To Change color of bins and projects in the project window? To hide some bins or projects in the project window (in the same way as tracks can be hidden in the timeline)?

For some projects, the project window is where a considerable amount of work is performed. In documentary especially, building the bin structure can be quite crucial in the building of narration. It would be great to feel more free to experiment, and move bins around without too much pain.

I'm curious to know if there is some technical reason for these limitations of the project window.

Best regards,

nicoremo

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why can't we have more than one project window? And other remarks about bin management in project window.
on Jul 12, 2013 at 7:13:29 am

[nicolas remond] "In Microsoft Windows, to perform the same task, you would simply open two explorer windows side by side, and then proceed with reorganising and dispatching."

You are comparing an OS to an Application. Windows and Avid are different things. BUT... You can do the same in the Mac OS. Open to windows on the FINDER level, and drag the bins into the project you want. Hold down OPT while you do this and it copies, instead of simply moving. And then you have the bin in the other project, and can instantly see them when you switch back to Avid MC.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Why can't we have more than one project window? And other remarks about bin management in project window.
on Jul 12, 2013 at 8:22:32 am

And you can do the same thing in windows at explorer level.
Bin dropped into the current MC project become visible when MC has the focus again.
But two project windows would imply 2 projects so you then risk different project formats being switched between.
Bin and folders should be enough.
Sounds like FCP-X maybe more what you need if that sort of management is needed as it works more like a massive database.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]