FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid student version on two different systems/OS

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Pieter Viljoen
Avid student version on two different systems/OS
on Jul 8, 2013 at 6:41:46 pm

I need to travel and bring a basic 2013 MBP (i5, 16mb mem) with 10.8.4.

My main at home editing system is a 2009 iMac running Avid 6.5.1 OS 10.8.2

First of all, is someone still using a student license allowed to deactivate and install on another system, but install a different version of Avid? Can I also use Sorenson on my MBP? I'm also not sure if Avid 7 would run well on a basic MBP, and I haven't upgraded the iMac to 7 because even though it runs 6.5 beautifully cutting even DNx 115, I don't want to compromise it, especially because I bring home work (which is a 12 core mac pro running version 6.)

Am I going to run into compatibility issues? Going between 6.5 and 6 was no problem (the 6 is a dongle license.) If anyone has experience with this, please share.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
Re: Avid student version on two different systems/OS
on Jul 9, 2013 at 11:28:36 am

With software licensing prior to V7 you could only use it for that version of MC. So V5.5 or V6.0 or V6.5 the point releases numbers aren't an issue so V6.5.1 and V6.5.3 will work with the same activation.
So as long as you have Mac OS versions that allow the same MC version then you can activate and de-activate to switch.
I'd look at upgrading the V6.0 to at least V6.5 or even 7 but it should be ok going between V6.5 & V6.0

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Jul 9, 2013 at 4:45:26 pm

Thank you Pat.

The only thing I never understood was the activation/de-activation thing. Do I have to de-activate my home Avid first, then install on another computer?

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:34:37 pm

You can install the software on as many computers as you like and for 30 days choose to run them in trial mode (fully functional) but only one system can be activated with a serial number and activation code. So if one system is activated you need to deactivate it in the Avid License control. Then you can activate it on the second machine.
If you try and activate a second machine with one still activated (even if not running) The second activation will fail with an error that you have exceeded the number of allowed activations.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Jul 9, 2013 at 7:43:11 pm

Thank you, that's what I wasn't clear on. I'm only familiar with the dongle system because of work. The digital license is new to me.

I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Pieter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]