FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any comments on MC 7?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Parfit
Any comments on MC 7?
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:01:25 pm

I'm one of those trying to choose a future path. So I'm very curious about first impressions.

Thanks!

Mike

http://www.thewhalemovie.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: Any comments on MC 7?
on Jul 8, 2013 at 5:25:00 pm

MC7 is one of their better ".0" releases, but it suffers from the same Avid issues that have lingered for a couple years. It's UI has never regained it's fast responsiveness since the v5.5 days (despite being 64bit), and it's export process is still really lacking (no quicktime reference exports on AMA, even with render files, and no passing sequences directly into squeeze, etc).

There are really two big things to MC7: frameflex and background consolidating/transcoding. The first feature works quite well, but (ironically) will make you depend on AMA like never before. Double edged sword indeed, because the implementation is really great -- dare I say, better than Premiere Pro or After Effects, in terms of how the image panning is handled. The second feature is more a boon to assistant editors (but what a huge boon indeed).

At the end of the day it's a worthy piece of software to carry on it's "industry standard" legacy. It's typical Avid: slow and incremental evolution, and that can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:19:11 am

i think its pretty awesome FWIW.

The background processes are huge, some editors still do there own transcoding every once in a while. They actually work in the background, unlike FCPX which pauses till you stop working. The dynamic folders seem great although i havent really wrapped my head around all thgey can do.

The frame flex is super legit and still works after transcoding so clunky AMA isnt an issue, speaking of AMA, much better performance on my end. Can actually play back the h264 sequences i onlined w/o dropouts. AMA Prores is cutting like butter. R3D much smoother. LUT support, i mean theres a lot to like with this release.

The new audio stuff is very welcomed and cached waveforms is a HUGE addition,. and works very well!

On top of that its pretty solid IMO for a .0 release. Havent really broken it yet. couple glitches when switching back and forth between apps quickly but who knows, nothing major.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Jul 9, 2013 at 10:08:56 pm

Playing with it here I'm really digging what I'm seeing. Like what others have said Background processing is great and it will really speed up our workflows. we don't have the pleasure of having assistant editors as they are all students here, but this workflow will be great. they can start cutting with the AMA files and when the transcoded or consolidates are finished they can just relink and keep working.

Not sure if this was in earlier version but i like that you can AMA just about anything video audio graphics its great. and if you AMA in a clip that supports alpha channel the clip comes in as a matte key. preserving the alpha.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

August Anderson
on Jul 11, 2013 at 5:37:18 pm

I've been diving in head-first on my laptop and home machine. A short film and a music video. Seemed like the appropriate test subjects.

I've been trying to note some small, irritating bugs through the process. So far, I've noticed:

• SHIFT-UP or SHIFT-DOWN doesn't select to the left or right when renaming a clip as it used to do. That's been killing me for breakdowns.
• SHIFT-DRAG SELECT of tracks doesn't seem to work occasionally. Like, holding down shift and sliding across a bunch of tracks to select/deselect. Feels like its getting stuck, then starts working after the 3rd or 5th attempt.
• Strange auto-patching issues in timeline. I open a new clip, and everything is patched incorrectly.
• New Project window seems to have a refresh issues, erasing the project name doesn't work, but you can type under it. Ghosting-kinda thing.
• On my laptop, that has 8gb of RAM and a 2.66 i7, it takes forever to boot up. And not in a modern, "That took, like, 1 whole minute!" It took somewhere between 8-10 minutes to boot up. And then when I export for the first time after a restart, it takes another solid 5 minutes to open the export dialog. My guess is this has something to do with calling the background rendering system, and could be resolved by just turning it off. I also noticed that minimum requirement now is 8gb RAM. 16gb reco.

••• NOTE: I am enjoying v7 heavily. The waveform and thumbnail (frame view) caching is, like, god's gift to me.

August Anderson

QRSlate QR-Code Film Slate
• App: http://www.qrslate.com
• 

Return to posts index

Christian Kennel
on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:06:06 pm

I know this topic is a bit old but here at Warner Bros we are not often anxious to upgrade our systems when Avid announces an update.

Over the holiday break (2014 - 2015) we upgraded our Avid Media Composers from v6.5 to v7.04 and while there are some nice features that many have echoed in this thread, we realized that Dynamic Relink is broken and that took us down. We had to back rev to 6.5. When we spoke to Avid they mentioned that they were "aware of the issue" but we have no fix as of yet. They thought 7.04.1 would fix the issue but it did not.We wish they would have warned us before the upgrade.

All in all we share some of the frustrations as others but the lack of speed and snappiness is one of the major issues our editors constantly voice. It takes forever to start up, launch a project, and the system often hangs in the middle of tasks. We have worked with Avid to resolve the issues for years now and even with their help we have never been able to get back to the V5.5 snappiness. Very frustrating for all.

Return to posts index

Robert Ober
on Jan 7, 2015 at 7:42:33 pm

[Christian Kennel] "All in all we share some of the frustrations as others but the lack of speed and snappiness is one of the major issues our editors constantly voice. It takes forever to start up, launch a project, and the system often hangs in the middle of tasks. We have worked with Avid to resolve the issues for years now and even with their help we have never been able to get back to the V5.5 snappiness. Very frustrating for all."

For MANY folks 8.3 cured the hangs, etc. One needs to make sure they try different versions of hardware drivers. For example the latest Blackmagic Desktop Video 10.3.4 seems to work well with 8.3 . Also, if on a Mac you may want to stay away from Yosemite.

I would doubt Avid is going to spend much time on fixing 7.x.

Hope you get a fix,
Robert

Robert A. Ober
IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelancer
http://www.infohou.com
Houston, TX

Return to posts index

Ricardo Arenas
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:25:58 am

Hello Mr. Kennel,
I'm wondering if you have tried the newly released patch 7.0.4.2? We also just upgraded our editors to 7.0.4.1 during the holiday break and we are now seeing the dynamic relink and a few other issues ourselves. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Regards,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]