FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relink after changing EDIT RATE

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolas Servide
Relink after changing EDIT RATE
on Jul 5, 2013 at 10:09:47 pm

Hello,

Has anyone tried to work with iPhone footage successfully?

I can't seem to relink the transcoded footage. This is what I am doing:

1. Imported iphone footage via AMA
2. Transcode to DNxHD 36
3. I get a message saying that I need to convert the edit rate to match the project (25 fps)
4. Try to relink the original clips to the newly transcoded footage.

But nothing connects. The clips are still referring to the original footage via AMA.

Should I convert the frame rate of the footage before taking into AVID?

Any inspiration will be very welcome.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relink after changing EDIT RATE
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:15:19 am

You need to open a project that is the frame rate of the footage you are trying to import. Then Link via AMA...then transcode. Then make a project with the frame rate you want to work in, and bring over the bin of the 25fps footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nicolas Servide
on Jul 6, 2013 at 8:27:20 am

Thanks Shane!

The problem is that each file has a slightly different rate, since they are coming from and iPhones... They vary from 19.4 to 24.5

If I know that I would never come back to the AMA'd files, isn't it ok to just transcode to 25 fps and forget about the originals?

What would a good data ratio be to keep the maximum quality from a H.264 with a data rate of around 20 Mbits/s?

Have a nice weekend!

Nico

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 6, 2013 at 4:29:51 pm

Because the iPhone (not sure of other phones) varies the frame rate without the user being able to control it, its problematic if you want to do an offline/online workflow using the original files...since Avid will not let you relink if you transcode the frame rate.

Best to transcode once to your edit frame rate (25fps) at DNXHD 120. Forget using low res at DNX 36 and relinking later to uprez. Its too difficult in Avid to make it work. You could not easily make projects for all your different frame rates (some may be non standard rates and not available in Avid)

If you have access to FCPX or Adobe Premiere Pro, you can just edit the camera files natively. Avid MC7 has better AMA performance, so you might be able to edit with the original footage with that, but I have not tested this yet.

Return to posts index

Nicolas Servide
on Jul 6, 2013 at 5:03:50 pm

Great!

I'll just transcode them to DNxHD120.

Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]