FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcode won't let me use HDV 1080i (It's not listed) Why?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Transcode won't let me use HDV 1080i (It's not listed) Why?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 6:32:41 pm

Hi,

I started a new project and the footage was shot at 1080i 60 1440 x 1080 HDV from on a Mini DV. I captured it in Final Cut and I am AMA Linking it in Avid and going to transcode it in there.

2 things:

When I open up Avid and start a new project it asks me to se my settings. Here is how I did it.

1) Format = 1080i/59.94

2) Color Space YcBr 709

3) Stereoscopic = Off

4) Aspect Ration = 16:9

5) Raster Dimension = 1920 x 1080

The Selected raster dimension supports the following raster types:

a) Standard

b) AVC Intra 100

c) XDCAM HD 50

d) XDCAM EX

I then open up Avid, AMA LInk the footge, select all of it, then go to the Transcode Window.

I want to Transcode the footage using Target Resolution HDV 1080i. It is not Listed. The one that is the default is DNxHD 145 MXF. Why is HDV 1080i not listed. I did this before with different footage and HDV 1080i was listed and I did Transcode to it.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a setting I am missing?

Thanks in advance

Media Composer 6.5

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Transcode won't let me use HDV 1080i (It's not listed) Why?
on Jul 5, 2013 at 2:12:21 am

You can only transcode to the project settings you are in. Since your current project is 1920 x 1080 you can't transcode to 1440 x 1080.

Most people want to get out of the HDV codec. DNXHD is far superior for performance and rendering, btw.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 5, 2013 at 9:09:04 am

Ok so your footage is HDV, but Id suggest dumping it for something / anything will be better, as soon as you possibly can. Transcode to avid format.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

vlyman9
on Sep 12, 2014 at 4:12:35 am

Hi Peter, I had a question about this too.

I'm in a similar position. I have a ton of HDV footage (80 hours) that was shot at 23.98, and 53 hours of full HD DSLR footage that was shot at 23.98 as well. I am trying to edit it all in Avid, and my first question - how to get the HDV in.

Bringing it in with a DNx220 codec looks pretty good, but the files are huge (over 100GB for each hour).

I can pull it in off of a deck, but then the timecode breaks every time there was a break in recording. Or, I can pull it through a black magic, but the problem there is that the the original timecode from the tapes isn't recorded in the black magic card, so I can never go back to those tapes in an online.

What would you recommend here? I'm having a hell of a time with it.

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

Valery Lyman
on Sep 12, 2014 at 4:22:10 am

Hi Peter, I had a question about this too.

I'm in a similar position. I have a ton of HDV footage (80 hours) that was shot at 23.98, and 53 hours of full HD DSLR footage that was shot at 23.98 as well. I am trying to edit it all in Avid, and my first question - how to get the HDV in.

Bringing it in with a DNx220 codec looks pretty good, but the files are huge (over 100GB for each hour).

I can pull it in off of a deck, but then the timecode breaks every time there was a break in recording. Or, I can pull it through a black magic, but the problem there is that the the original timecode from the tapes isn't recorded in the black magic card, so I can never go back to those tapes in an online.

What would you recommend here? I'm having a hell of a time with it.

Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]