FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proper Workflow for working on multiple projects in Avid Media Composer 6.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Proper Workflow for working on multiple projects in Avid Media Composer 6.5
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:55:23 pm

Hi,

I'm a little confused on Proper Work Flow when starting on and working on a new project in Media Composer 6.5.

Before I start a new project I make a folder on one of my External Firewire Drives and name it. (Example - For a wedding I would name it Mary & Joe). I then open up Avid and the screen comes on and I press New Project. I then name it the same as the folder I made (Mary & Joe). I then navigate to the folder where it is and then I press Open. Avid opens up and I can start that particluar project by Importing footage into the bins.

Then when I want to start another project on another External Firewire Drive, I do the same thing, (Make a folder, Name it. Open up Avid, Press New Project, Name it the same as the folder I just created, and then I navigate to the Drive and folder that the new project is on.) Avid opens and I can start working on the new project.

Then when I want to work on the first project again, I open Avid, Highlight the job I want to work on, Navigate back to that Hard Drive and Folder and open up Avid again and start working.

Is this the correct way to do it in Avid Media Composer 6.5?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Proper Workflow for working on multiple projects in Avid Media Composer 6.5
on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:20:39 pm

No. You should keep all of the projects in one area. Avid has a default, but you can make your own, and navigate there. Just keep all of the project files in that one location, and you can switch projects easily.

Back that folder up occasionally, so you have backups of the projects in case of drive failure.

Note that Avid doesn't separate media on the finder level by project. It makes one AVID MEDIAFILES folder, then in that, MXF, then numbered folders. ALL of your media from multiple projects are stored in those numbered folders. Avid doesn't separate media by project, like FCP or Adobe does.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Jul 2, 2013 at 5:36:40 pm

Ok,

So this is how it should be done: (Please correct me if I am wrong)

1. Create a folder on one of Firewire Hard Drives and name it Avid
2. Open up Avid & Navigate to inside that folder on that drive
3. Click New project & Name that project.
4. It will create that Project file in that Avid folder.
4. I should never have to Navigate to another folder again.

On all of my projects, I use different Music, Titles etc.. that are specific to that project and will be imported into Avid. I like to create a folder with the couples names on it and store their specific items in that folder. Can I make that folder on any Drive or should it be on that same drive that I made my first "Avid" folder?

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:06:09 pm

It won't matter where you put those, when you import them into Avid MC, MC will make new media for them and put it in the Avid MediaFile structure. Music gets converted to MXF or OMFI, graphics get converted to MXF...and put in the numbered folders.

Avid MC isn't like FCP or Premiere...those just point to the files where you put them. Avid converts the media and moves it where it wants it. Now, that is changing a little with later versions and AMA, but music and graphics can't be AMA'd, so they go into the main Avid structure.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:36:09 pm

OK Cool,

One more question.

Right now I have a folder with about 2 and a half hours of footage imported into FCP 7 from a MINI DV HDV 1440 x 1080i. That folder also has Music, Titles, Pictures. etc...

I made a folder on a different drive that is labeled "Avid MC Projects." That folder will be the drive where I keep all my Avid Project Files and where I will navigate to on my Avid New Project Screen and leave it there.

Do I have to copy over that 2 and a half hours of Mini DV footage into that "Avid MC Projects" folder just to AMA link to it then Transcode it in Avid? Or Can I leave it in that original folder, that is on another drive, and AMA link to that folder, and then Transcode it when it's in Avid?

Of course, it will be easier not to have it copy over to another drive..

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:45:03 pm

Leave the originals where they are. AMA link to them, then transcode. Work with the transcoded media, archive the drive with the originals.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:58:05 pm

I made a folder on a different drive that is labeled "Avid MC Projects." That folder will be the drive where I keep all my Avid Project Files and where I will navigate to on my Avid New Project Screen and leave it there.

Do I have to copy over that 2 and a half hours of Mini DV footage into that "Avid MC Projects" folder just to AMA link to it then Transcode it in Avid? Or Can I leave it in that original folder, that is on another drive, and AMA link to that folder, and then Transcode it when it's in Avid?

Project file management, AMA media management, and Avid MediaFiles management are all three separate things. They make a whole lot of sense once you get used to them.

Project Files: These all go into your "Avid MC Projects" folder. If you make a project (TVShow), create a bin in the base level (Elements), create a folder (EP 1) and then two bins inside ("EP1 Clips" "EP1 Sequences"), then your projects folder will look like this:
Avid MC Projects
-TVShow
--[project files for the project]
--Elements.avb
--EP 1
---EP1 Clips.avb
---EP1 Sequences.avb

One great thing Avid does is that the bins (your .avb files) can be copied and pasted into other projects. If you need to consolidate projects from multiple locations into the one folder, then create a new project in Avid for each project, then simply move/copy the bins into the appropriate project folder Avid created. I usually try to have Avid closed when making changes in any folder that Avid references. When you open the project, all of the bins will be present. And of course you can create/delete/move folders/bins inside of Avid.

AMA: Media management is roughly equivalent of media management in FCP (and Premiere). It is a link that points avid to the media. You can store this media in whatever structure you desire. Links are largely solid. Moving/deleting media will of course break links. If links are broken, the easiest way I have found to relink media is to create a new temporary bin, link the media as if you were doing it for the first time, and all of the old clips that were unlinked should update.

Avid MediaFiles: Avid loves to import (which creates new media as MXF) and handles it better than AMA linking. All media created is placed in the Avid MediaFiles folder. In Avid -> Settings -> Media Creation you can select different drives for different types of media (capture, import, titles, etc), but you can only select drive, not folders or sub-folders. The Avid MediaFiles folder must be at the base level of the drive. Inside it is all of the media created/imported by Avid. The file structure may seem overwhelming and odd if you aren't used to how Avid handles things, but Avid is extremely good at keeping track of what is in that folder. Management of that folder is important, but that is a rather extensive topic in and of itself.

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:45:11 pm

Ok,

So here is how I should lay things out.

1. Make a folder on my Hard Drive and name it “Avid MC Projects”
2. Open up Avid and start a new project and navigate it to the “Avid MC Projects” folder on my Drive.
3. Press OK and Avid will open up.
4. Once Inside Avid I made 2 New Bins
1. Clips (Which is where I will keep my Transcoded footage)
2. Sequences (In This Bin, I made a few Blank Sequences with the names of sequences that I use all the time (Ex. C-Hr, Party, Ceremony, etc…)

Is this correct?

Also, Can I save the Clips Bin and my Sequences Bin (before I start to put Media in it) on another Drive and Paste it in another project so I don’t have to keep making these Bins everytime I start a new project.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Jul 3, 2013 at 12:22:15 am

Also, Can I save the Clips Bin and my Sequences Bin (before I start to put Media in it) on another Drive and Paste it in another project so I don’t have to keep making these Bins everytime I start a new project.

Yes you can. You can even put these bins with in folders, And when you copy and paste them into new projects the folders will also be seen in your avid "project"

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:41:26 pm

[Shane Ross] "but music and graphics can't be AMA'd, so they go into the main Avid structure."

Just to be aware in MC7 you can AMA link in music and graphics including PSD files. I just did it to confirm.

The graphics come in as linked matte keys, but if the image isn't formatted to your project resolution then it does deform the image.

but it is pretty cool new feature. hopefully this doesn't confuse the OP as what Shane has explained is really the "right" way of doing things.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:19:42 am

One way to put more structure in your Avid MediaFiles folder is to rename your Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 folder after you have populated it with project OPAtom files. You can rename it to any alpha/numeric name you wish, for example Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ProjectX. Just be aware that once you rename it, Media Composer can read the files in that folder, but, it can't write to that folder. This is a good way to seperate Avid media files by project, as well as to lock the media file folder so no further changes can be made.

Return to posts index

Mickey O'Neil
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:08:51 pm

I Simply rename the Avid MediaFiles folder after I finish working on a project. In that case when I create a new project, Avid creates a new Avid MediaFiles folder. Again, After finishing, I rename it again. Like this: Avid MediaFiles-Project X.

You have to notice, when you wanna open the project X Again you have to rename it to Avid MediaFiles again.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]