FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bought 5.5 - 7.0 upgrade, can I download 6.5 as well?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Hinger
Bought 5.5 - 7.0 upgrade, can I download 6.5 as well?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 10:17:58 am

Hi everyone,

I'm running MC 5.5 and have just paid for the 7.0 upgrade as the upgrade to 6.5 was no longer in the online store.

I'm wary of upgrading to 7.0 straight away, and additionally my Mac Pro has dropped off the approved list.

I can see a whole load of 6.x.x downloads when I log in to the Avid website, but I don't want to mess up my dongle by doing the wrong thing.

Any advice?

Thanks

Toby

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
Re: Bought 5.5 - 7.0 upgrade, can I download 6.5 as well?
on Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09:03 pm

I believe if you have registered your upgrade and have an online master account with Avid, then there is a "downloads" page where several versions of MC are available, which is true for us but we still use dongles.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:00:44 pm

Hi Toby,
just to share what I'm experiencing now. I made the same thing, but installing both 6.5 and 7.0 on Windows, trying to register the software with the dongle, I get the message that my dongle (Safenet Sentinel) is not supported by the current software release.
Best Regards,

Paolo

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Toby Hinger
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:33:06 am

Thanks Paolo,

This is my concern also.

What I'm trying to ascertain is:

a) Am I entitled to both 6.x and 7.x upgrades?

b) if so, what process should I follow to upgrade. There are quite a few downloads I can see on the site, but I want to make sure I do everything in the correct order.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:19:50 pm

Your dongle should - read-" this is how it used to work"- be usable for the version of software you purchased it for and any earlier versions. But be careful. If you bought 7, install it, register it, call avid and get them to give you the dongle update. The dongle doesn't know you updated, Avid has to tell it that.

After the highest version is working, then you can try to install an earlier version and see if it works. If you do it the other way around- do a paid update, and have them update your dongle to 6.5, they may tell you that you are out of luck when you then go to update to 7.0 I doubt that would happen, but you never know.

All versions of avid products are available in their download area. You can still download MC 3.1 if you want to.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:34:43 pm

Sorry Glenn - that is not quite right. I registered dongle, purchased MC 7, they provided a dongle versioner which updates the dongle to be able to run MC 7 --- this dongle will still run any earlier version you have installed. It will also "activate" the MC software version 7 when 7 is installed. You do not have to install 7 to make it update or anything.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Toby Hinger
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58:38 pm

Hi Ricky,

So you're saying if I run the v7 dongle updater but install the 6.5 application everything will work and I can install v7 later on?

If so, do I need to start with the earliest v6 I can download, and install several updates, or can I go straight to 6.5?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 4, 2013 at 11:43:48 pm

Yes, that is correct - assuming you have qualified hardware then your v7 dongle will run whatever you install - all of our 11 dongles are v7 and we are running MC 5.5, 6, 6.5 and 7 on various machines PC and Mac, XP and Win 7

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]