FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid settings between different versions of Avid

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Furie
Avid settings between different versions of Avid
on Jun 28, 2013 at 6:05:19 pm

Hello,
I want to take my Avid Settings (I mapped the keyboard just how I like it) from Avid 5.5 to 6. I was just told by an Avid Assistant Editor that it cannot be done and could cause a problem. Is there a reason my Avid Settings from 5.5 would not important to 6 or cause a problem?

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Avid settings between different versions of Avid
on Jun 28, 2013 at 6:21:15 pm

It can potentially cause issues. The Assistant is right. Going from v5.x to v6.x brought some big changes both in UI and under the hood.

You can try it. You might get lucky, but often its the source of unstable behavior. Why risk it...it takes 10 minutes to rebuild your setting. Will save you lots of grief in the long run.

It's best to create new settings for each major release. Some people do it for every release..even minor point releases.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jun 28, 2013 at 6:30:07 pm

Avid settings on 5.5 and below were AVS based, and 6.0 and above are XML based. Certain settings came over, but keyboarding settings in particular did not. Bummed me out a little bit, but it wasn't the end of the world.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 28, 2013 at 8:50:51 pm

Settings from one version to another can cause systems to freeze, or crash. Best to redo settings from scratch. Assistant is right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Cole
on Jun 29, 2013 at 12:25:47 am

I often take screen grabs of my keyboard layout both in the unshifted and shifted mode, along with a variety of other settings windows after I get my settings finalized and/or before I know a major update of MC is going to be installed. These become references as I'm creating new settings in the new version of MC.

Gadwin Print Screen is a great freeware plugin for capturing specific screen regions for windows, I think it is also available for that fruit based machine as well.

M. Scott Cole
Senior Post Production Editor
60 MINUTES
CBS News, NYC
sc6@cbsnews.com
mscottc@comcast.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]