FORUMS: list search recent posts

SOS Mpeg streamclip gamma shift workaround

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timothy Miller
SOS Mpeg streamclip gamma shift workaround
on Jun 27, 2013 at 9:32:25 am

Hi everybody !

I am onlining a HD 1080i 25fps project in Paris.

Several archive banks are delivering footage via ftp etc. in different file formats, some of them not supported by MC 6.5 for direct import.

As I intend to output in avid 1x1 10bit for color grading, I am using MPEG Streamclip to convert these files to an avid 'importable' format.

But I am encountering a SERIOUS GAMMA SHIFT in the resulting files. I am not certain wether this shift which shoves my footage into the infrablack netherland is destructive or not. If it is destructive, I have a problem !

QUESTION : Does anyone know of this gamma shift problem? Is there a workaround? Does anyone know about an alternative software to MPEG Streamclip which does not produce same problem?

FYI I am running Avid Symphony 6.5.2.25575 on a 5.1 MAC Pro OS 10.8.2

Thanks for your answers.

Timothy

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: SOS Mpeg streamclip gamma shift workaround
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:30:28 pm

[Timothy Miller] "some of them not supported by MC 6.5 for direct import.
"

What formats might these be?

Pretty much anything that can be thrown at you can be ingested by AMA linking and transcoding to Avid DNX HD. That will usually allow you to avoid any gamma issues introduced by QuickTime player or third party software.

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
Re: SOS Mpeg streamclip gamma shift workaround
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:42:11 pm

Some funky mpeg 4 disguised as .mps that I can only open with Quicktime AFTER having changed the extension to .mpeg.
Upon trying to import these clips, AVID says "This type of Mpeg file is not supported" therefore the need to use Mpeg Streamclip to transcode it.
One thought though, I have been transcoding directly to Avis 1x1 10bit before importing in Avid. Will try transcoding to dnx, import and then consolidate to 1x1.

Will keep you posted!

Just tried ama linking. None of my plugins support those files.

Thanks for your answer.

TImothy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]