FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking Resolve-created dailies to original Red files

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Uli Kunkel
Relinking Resolve-created dailies to original Red files
on Jun 23, 2013 at 3:08:12 am

Working on a project shot on Red. Dailies created in Resolve. Naturally, the workflow wasn't hashed out before work started.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers for how to conform the cuts. I've done some experimenting with little luck.

The only metadata that came over in the DNx36 dailies is the original TAPE NAME which corresponds to the file folder in the Red file structure. Theoretically, that should be enough to relink the cuts via AMA. But since they weren't transcoded via AMA, Avid can't see them.

I've been able to successfully relink to test sequences using an EDL in Redcine-X.

A colorist I've been speaking with has told me that he's never gotten an Avid EDL that relinked perfectly and suggested relinking in Avid and transcoding before sending him the sequence. So that's what I would like to do.

If anyone has any clue as to how to relink these sequences, I would really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks so much.

Uli

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Relinking Resolve-created dailies to original Red files
on Jun 23, 2013 at 3:26:42 am

I've been involved with plenty of DI from Avid EDL's. TAPE will be the filename of the R3D. When linking in Resolve, just make sure that conform using "REEL" is correctly extracted.

Michael

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Jun 23, 2013 at 7:02:00 am

If you conform and transcode in Avid, you will lose the benefit of working with the native R3D files in grading, which means that you will have significantly less data to work with.

I have sent EDL's to BaseLight, Nucoda and Scratch, and they all worked. Just make sure you make EDL's using the File32 template.

If you DO need to relink between Resolve-transcoded dailies and R3D originals inside Media Composer, then you need to check the right boxes in the Relink window. Meaning that you have to force MC to relink the Tape column to the Source File column.

Return to posts index

Uli Kunkel
on Jun 23, 2013 at 3:54:07 pm

Tried relinking in Avid by choosing the "TAPE" column and it didn't work.

My colorist friend who works in Resolve says that EDLs relink in Resolve, but never perfectly. A clip will have the wrong INS-OUTS for example.

Will try relinking in Avid again, but I don't think that will work. Anyone ever done a Resolve workflow via Avid EDL?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 23, 2013 at 4:13:15 pm

Having the wrong IN and OUT is usually user error by not selecting the proper source timecode to use when generating, or when relinking seeing as some file have TOD and Absolute. If it's only certain segments, then go back and verify the EDL against the timeline to make sure it is correct. That is part of the process of handing over an EDL for final conform.

If it's relinking back in Avid after a Resolve color correction, then it is a matter of settings used in Resolve when creating the new MXF files. Have you perused the Avid Cinema Whitepaper for workflow considerations?

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
Re: linking Resolve-created dailies to original Red files
on Jun 29, 2013 at 3:42:02 am

Why not use an AAF into Resolve for R3D grading when edit is locked?

If you need to return to Avid from Resolve, export Online DNxHD MXF (put in Avid MediaFiles>MXF>'number') and a new AAF to build edit (add handles if desired). I did this with 6.5.2.1 for a student that forgot to bring all Offline Media for the edit, Avid still exported all the correct information in the AAF and worked perfectly in Resolve and back to Avid. I love it.

Cheers,
Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]