FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM audio importing only one channel

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Swinglehurst
XDCAM audio importing only one channel
on Jun 19, 2013 at 11:16:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm importing some XDCAM EX Quicktimes into Avid, but once imported the clips are missing one audio channel.

The XDCAM .mov files are in the following format:

XDCAM EX 1080p25 (35 Mb/s VBR), 1920 x 1080 (1888 x 1062), Millions
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Left, 48.000 kHz <--- This is lavalier mic audio
16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Right, 48.000 kHz <---- This is on-camera mic audio

If I import the .mov files directly into Avid, the audio channels are swapped over and the lavalier mic audio is missing. What I get instead is that channel 1 (left) is the on-camera mic and channel 2 (right) is a blank waveform where I would have expected to see the lavalier audio.

If I first convert the .mov files using Streamclip and then import these files into Avid, everything is correct - all audio is present and is in the correct channels.

I have tried changing my Avid import settings: Multichannel Audio to "None" or "Stereo A1A2", "Sample rate convert source sample rate to project sample rate" on or off, and "Autodetect Broadcast Wave Monophonic Groups" on or off, all of these produce the same result when importing the XDCAM .mov files.

At this stage, I've already imported all the XDCAM media into Avid, so I am reluctantly having to reconvert all the rushes using Streamclip and reimport them again.

But for future reference, can anyone explain what's going on here?

Thanks,

AVID MC 5.5, Mac Pro OS X 10.6, 2 x 2GHz Dual Core Xeon

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Swinglehurst
Re: XDCAM audio importing only one channel
on Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05:13 am

It turns out the XDCAM .mov files were created using Log and Transfer in FCP which assigned audio channels in a way that Avid couldn't/didn't interpret correctly.

I've now got the original BPAVs, I've linked them with AMA and I'm consolidating the media.

Resolved.

Nick

Return to posts index

Steve Eagleton
on Aug 28, 2013 at 6:41:07 pm

this is great info, unfortunately for me the shooters/producer erased the original media (yeah I know who does that!!) I am picking up a project that was taken away from them.
Was curious where you found the info on the FCP .mov from log and transfer to Avid problem. Hoping there is another solution as I've already had the media imported to Avid.

thanks for any help!!

Return to posts index

Nick Swinglehurst
on Sep 1, 2013 at 11:01:42 pm

I think when Avid imported the files, it stripped out one of the audio channels completely. If you only have the Avid MediaFiles then unfortunately that missing audio data probably isn't recoverable.

But if you have the Quicktime files that FCP generated before you imported them into Avid, then just reset the audio channels for each Quicktime file to Left and Right. I've done this in Quicktime Player 7 Pro under Movie Properties > Sound track > Audio settings.

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]