FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Alexa to DNxHD 36, apply LUT

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
Import Alexa to DNxHD 36, apply LUT
on Jun 15, 2013 at 4:44:04 am

Hello,

I saw this topic in another thread saying I could use Resolve to apply a rec709 LUT to Log C footage imported from ProRes 4444 to DNxHD 36.

I just want to make sure I have the workflow right for this... I am basically only doing the LUT for dailies. The post house I will be delivering the final project to needs proper EDLs and AAFs from my AVID project, but I need to deliver dailies with the LUT on it. The post house said to not worry about what's happening in terms of the media in my avid timeline, because they will be doing the online on another system (quantel pablo).

I just want to make sure the following workflow will be work:

- Import prores 4444 into AVID, converting to DNxHD 36 MXF files.
- Sync audio
- Put a rec709 LUT on the MXF files using Resolve.

- Then, re-link in Avid to the new MXF files with the rec709 LUT (How do I make sure to do that properly?)
- Export timelines of dailies with the rec709 on it.

- And then, will the metadata be preserved so that any EDL or AAF I export will still link properly to the original ProRes 4444 files? Along with the audio?

Yes I am fairly new to Avid and I'm happy to take some snideness from the vets :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Import Alexa to DNxHD 36, apply LUT
on Jun 15, 2013 at 6:25:29 am

You should not first import into Avid DNxHD, and then add the LUT in Resolve, there is no need. You can use Resolve from the get go, it will allow you to add a LogC->709 LUT as well as transcoding to DNxHD Avid MXF mediafiles, which you may then use in MC. This will preserve metadata.

Here's a doc that describes the process for Resolve 8
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/How_To/DaVinci-Resolve-and-dailes

Here's an Arri document that I find to be less clear, but that helps you find the settings in Resolve 9:
http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0...

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 15, 2013 at 7:04:52 am

Great! thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 15, 2013 at 2:47:10 pm

Make sure you set the proper REEL identification in Resolve before going to Media Composer. I've seen far too many projects on various forums where this was not set and the dailies have no REEL at all assigned.

There is also this whitepaper to go over:
http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

v7 will change things as you can apply a LUT to sources in Media Composer.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 15, 2013 at 3:01:43 pm

Thanks Michael.

I already did a batch without setting the Reel number. I did notice it was an empty column in Resolve but I didn't see where to add it within Resolve... I was doing this really late last night, maybe if I go back now it will be more obvious.

Will it also work to add the Reel # once I bring the MXFs into MC?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 15, 2013 at 3:27:11 pm

I would recommend re-doing that batch of dailies to be consistent with all dailies if you are doing this as part of a service. This will avoid downstream issues or confusion.

In settings, there is a section in the master project settings called "conform options" in there you can select a variety of ways to extract a REEL ID. The easiest may well be to just use "filename". But with Arri you have the choice of "embedded" versus filename". Check with post and conform which one they want to use. I like to have both available and is done with an additional merge from the Arri ALE created in camera.

This is a fundamental and ever so important step in providing dailies. I wish the demo videos online could be removed that show the wrong way on doing this - but it's the internet. It must all be true.

Always do your homework thoroughly. Your conform/DI house will appreciate it, no finger pointing, and the blame won't come back to you.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:37:56 pm

Thanks a million Michael. That would have definitely been a problem with the post house, and having just met them, I am really trying to get off on the right foot. I've learned a lot over the last few days!

I figured out how to do it from the from the Resolve 9 dailies paper above:

Master Project Settings > Conform Options > check "Assist using reel names from the: > select "Embedding in source clip file"

*note= the Avid Resolve Creating Dailes paper Job ter Berg links to above does make some things clearer, but the process described for reel numbers will NOT work in R9!

Seems like AVID should be able handle LUTs, I'll look forward to that in 7.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 16, 2013 at 1:15:50 am

>>Master Project Settings > Conform Options > check "Assist using reel names from the: > select >>"Embedding in source clip file"

That will use the Alexa reel naming scheme. Many post facilities prefer the file name so that each shot has a unique tape name for positive identification and simpler searching. You should ask whoever is finishing the show which one they want (that's also what Michael was referring to...).

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 16, 2013 at 1:07:28 pm

Yeah I e-mailed the post house and haven't heard back yet so I am proceeding that way for now because I need to get the dailies out...

I was also told the post house would not be doing the online with AVID, so the media within avid is less important as long as the EDLs and AAFs are proper...

However now I'm having a new problem: when I import the MXFs from Resolve into Avid, it's not showing the reel #s in the bins... not sure what's wrong.

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 16, 2013 at 1:38:34 pm

Ah, I see now, "reel no." in Resolve becomes "tape name" in Avid. Great.

Funny how it's really neither a reel nor a tape. Seems to me "reel no." would be a better one to stick with, ah well. This legacy terminology gets tiresome sometimes :)

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 16, 2013 at 3:16:26 pm

It's all semantics, but knowing what they mean in context is important to the job at hand. REEL is also used for edited scenes assembled together in REELS under 2000 feet or ~20 minutes used for film projection, but still used as part of a conform process for feature length projects.

Michael

Return to posts index

Nicholas VanVoorthuysen
on Jun 16, 2013 at 10:15:12 pm

Agreed. Thank you for your help Michael.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]