FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating multiple matte keys in Media Composer 6.5.0 causes a black-hole, sort of

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Diennet
Creating multiple matte keys in Media Composer 6.5.0 causes a black-hole, sort of
on Jun 12, 2013 at 8:35:38 pm

Hello there,

I'm currently working on a project in which the characters turn something on and it explodes in their faces. I have been tasked with replicating a smoke screen that obscures the picture, to be used to edit from one shot to the same shot post-smokescreen.
So far, I've tried chroma/matte keying an image of a smoke bomb on a black background and overlaying it on top of the shot. This worked quite well, but did not completely obscure the entire frame, so, now I am trying to do multiple matte keys at once. And therein lies the problem; when I do this, the matte keys seem to bounce off of each other and the second smokescreen (found on V3) is turned invisible, almost window like, and the 1st smokescreen (found on V2) is actually made smaller and parts are absorbed by the V3 smokescreen.

I apologize if I've done a bad job of explaining, but this is very hard to communicate. When I move the proportions of the shots around, I then see that the matte key on V3 has reversed the image to where it's replicated the actual film (found on V1.) It's a confusing bunch of matching images now.

Firstly, I'd like to ask if there is an easier and more intelligent way of doing this that I just don't know about.

And if not, then what the heck do I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure somebody will be able to help me as this community is awesome.
Hope to hear from you soon!

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Creating multiple matte keys in Media Composer 6.5.0 causes a black-hole, sort of
on Jun 13, 2013 at 2:58:39 am

What happens if you nest V2 and V1, render the nest, then apply the key that was on V3 above the nest?

Return to posts index

Arthur Diennet
Re: Creating multiple matte keys in Media Composer 6.5.0 causes a black-hole, sort of
on Jun 13, 2013 at 4:08:30 am

Hey, thanks for the answer! But unfortunately, I'm a lacking in knowledge here.
When you say "nest", what do you mean?

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Jun 13, 2013 at 1:01:47 pm

John's solution is what I would have suggested, and his 'nest' suggestion is the same as the 'Collapse' button. (It's one of the buttons on the top of the timeline itself).
Once you've nested the effects, to get back into and adjust something in the nest, there's a 'STEP-IN' button - arrow down, and a step out button - arrow up, also one of the timeline buttons, although I've got them mapped to the up and down arrows on the keyboard.

Return to posts index

Arthur Diennet
on Jun 13, 2013 at 8:17:21 pm

Aaaaand it worked!
Thank you so much for the help, guys.
Honestly couldn't've done it without you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]