FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID MC 6.5 - problem with the metadata

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonia Sánchez
AVID MC 6.5 - problem with the metadata
on Jun 12, 2013 at 6:41:05 am

Hello!
I'm working with Avid MC 6.5. The footage is shot with ALEXA in Apple Pro Res 444 and I recieve from the Data Manager a transcode of those files in Mxf (dnxhd 36) generated with the DAVINCI RESOLVE.
Those mxf files I copy them to the AVID MEDIA FILES folder and I can then work in the software with them. The problem is that the metadata is not recognised so I import the ALE and I try to RELINK those files but it doesn't work. I've tried to put manualy all that info in its column (reel, clip, source file...) but when I export an EDL that info is not there.
Has anybody an answer to this? I don't know what else to do!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AVID MC 6.5 - problem with the metadata
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:36:10 pm

This has been a common problem with DIT/Data wranglers who are unfamiliar with the dailies process and do not set up the proper SOURCE or REEL ID correctly during the dailies process. Resolve is very flexible in its REEL attribution and the user needs to be careful to set it up. Aside from that, everything out of Resolve, even if REEL is correctly set, will show up in the TAPE column. When you look at your TAPE column for the master clips, what is in there? Is it the FILE name or the REEL name? And which ALE are you trying to merge? The one from the camera? In order for an ALE to merge these following fields need to match EXACTLY:

Tape or Source File
Start
End

Michael

Return to posts index

Sonia Sánchez
on Jun 12, 2013 at 6:17:05 pm

Hi,
thank you very much for your quick response! Data Manager hadn´t worked with Avid before, and he can´t tell us how change the files conversion in order to generate them properly, he can´t find the options to apply this metadata.

I've checked TAPE column but nothing appears there. I'm trying to relink the ALE from the camera with the mxf media but it doesn't work.

Do you think there is a way to solve it afterwards so de EDL works propperly?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:04:48 pm

Well that's a shame. I am seeing so much of this very issue in many forums where "data wranglers" are not familiar with the Avid process. They should be if they want to be data wranglers and making editorial dailies. Here is some homework for him or her:
http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

That being said...

I am going to make the assumption that both TAPE and SOURCE FILE columns are blank. One of those has to have a value matching the one in the camera ALE in order to merge, in addition to exact matching timecodes for START and END.

You might be better off adding the REEL manually to a batch of clips -while a bit more laborious, will work for EDL generation downstream.

Look to the ALE's to see whic clips share the same REEL. Usually it is from the same card and time of recording. Add the Camroll or Labroll column to a bin view. With all clips selected, move your mouse so that it is at the intersection of the column and any one of the highlighted clips. Right click and select the entry that will say "copy to/add to with either Labroll or Camroll somewhere in the entry. I am not in front of a system right now to give you exact name. it's about halfway down and just above a line separator if I recall correctly. When selected, a pop up monitor will appear with a text entry. Enter REEL value in there, and when clicking OK, that value will be applied to all selected clips.

Good luck!

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]