FORUMS: list search recent posts

Migrating old Avid project to new drive

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Viljoen
Migrating old Avid project to new drive
on Jun 7, 2013 at 8:07:11 pm

I have a 3hr feature that is spread out across several old external drives. As film transfer capabilities improved, the film maker did several transfers so you can just image the amount of data. I want to consolidate everything to one large drive and then LTO everything.

What would be the best way to do this, and if I want to open the new project, can I just take the database files over to the new drive as well? Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Migrating old Avid project to new drive
on Jun 8, 2013 at 3:06:56 am

You can transfer the database files and it will often work fine...however rebuilding them is sound practice.

Make sure you maintain the correct folder structure when moving stuff to the new drive.
You can have multiple media folders (numbered "1", "2", etc) within the MXF folder. If you have many folders numbered '1', it is okay to rename them another number. Avid will figure it out.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Jun 8, 2013 at 6:11:47 pm

So if I keep my root structure intact, it should be ok? The project files already live on the computer I am editing on, and it is a fantastically complicated project. When I restart avid with the new drive online, will it relink automatically by rebuilding the database?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:35:32 pm

I've never used this...but you can give it a try, as well...(free)

http://automaticduck.com/products/mc/

There is also this (not free)

http://www.randomvideo.com/products/mediamover_avid.html

Or to stick with doing it manually...

Try it one drive at a time.

Don't launch Avid yet.

Copy the folder with the media in it...probably called Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 to the Avid MediaFiles folder on your new target drive. Keep the exisiting database for now.

Take the original drive offline. Launch Avid. Is everything online?

Move on to your next drive and repeat. If the next drive's media folder is also named "1", just change it to a higher number and copy it to the same MXF folder as the previous one.

Return to posts index

Pieter Viljoen
on Jun 13, 2013 at 9:34:37 pm

John,

Thank you, I am going to try this tomorrow. If this fails, Avid should relink to the original media on the old drives, so I think this process of doing it one by one should be fine.

I'll have to auto duck the FCP portion. There are a bunch of inserts that were reframed after transfer and I'd like to get that into Avid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]