FORUMS: list search recent posts

Swapping out footage in Avid Media Composer

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Williams
Swapping out footage in Avid Media Composer
on Jun 5, 2013 at 9:20:10 pm

Hello, Avid rookie here, receiving a crash course in the intricacies of Avid.

I'm trying to do something I thought would be simple, which is to swap out footage in Avid.

Currently, the footage loaded into Avid was missing a LUT and had been transcoded to an MXF that had incorrect metadata (specifically, an incorrect tape name).

I now have footage that has a LUT and correct metadata, but unfortunately the editor has already started editing. I'd like to do a straight swap of that footage with as minimal a disruption to the editor as possible.

All other aspects of the footage are the same (timecode, start, end, duration, resolution, fps, etc, but tape name differs [was "4-21-2013-CamA" on the unLUTed footage, is now "A001R1V9" on the LUTed footage). As I've discovered the hard way, replacing the footage isn't so simple as going into the Avid-MediaFiles folder and swapping out the file. FCP has spoiled me.

Obviously, more competent people could do this task but people decided to make this a learning opportunity for me as I start to learn Avid, so... yeah.

Any guidance in this matter would be deeply appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mike Jeffs
Re: Swapping out footage in Avid Media Composer
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:56:21 pm

What I would do is import the new media into a new bin. Then highlight the new clips click modify then select source, there you can change the tape names. Assign each clip the tape name of the old clip.

Then again highlight all your new clips in the bin. Go to the old clips high light and select relink. In the relink dialog box select Selected Items in All open bins. Your old clips should then be relinked to your new LUT clips. and all you edits should update as well.

Just to be safe I would have a back up of you old clips bin in the avid attic just in case something goes ary.

Mike Jeffs
Video Coordinator
BYU-Idaho

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:21:58 pm

That will likely not work. You cannot change tape names because they're baked into the MXF headers. If you're using MC6.5, however, what you can do is change the relink parameters to look at another column that has common information, perhaps the tape name on the new source linked against the camera roll on the existing footage. Then you can do the explicit relink that you describe. If you're using a previous version of MC, you're probably going to have to eye match action (you could use time code if it's the same) and do a replace edit.

Return to posts index

Israel Diaz
on Jul 19, 2014 at 2:06:44 pm

Hello.

I have problems with the part of modify tape, avid media say me that

I export mxf file of davinci. I will like check another grading but I can not change...

Sorry my bad english

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]