FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best AVID Media Composer 6 workflow with RED R3D without transcoding.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Shipman
Best AVID Media Composer 6 workflow with RED R3D without transcoding.
on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:14:14 am

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but I've Googled this question and I'm getting results regarding a popular workflow found in Media Composer 5.

I'm fairly new to AVID and have been using Premiere Pro for ages. I don't have to transcode in Premiere and I'm able to freely change resolutions of R3D files from the composer window.

How can I do this in AVID Media Composer 6?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Best AVID Media Composer 6 workflow with RED R3D without transcoding.
on Jun 2, 2013 at 3:22:49 pm

You can use AMA to link to the R3D files and edit those directly in the timeline. Performance will be dependent on several factors from speed of system, disk drives, etc. Media Composer uses a different playback engine than PPro, so you will not get the same type of performance on MC. The green/green, green/yellow, and yellow/yellow toggle button in the bottom of the timeline act as debayer qualities from R3D files;1/2, 1/4,1/8, etc.

Media Composer is an HD editing and finishing system, it does not support rasters higher than HD, currently topping off at 1920 x 1080. So any file greater than HD will be scaled down to the HD project size.

Media Composer v7 out soon, introduces FrameFlex, the ability to access a region of interest from a video format greater than HD, but output will still be only HD frame sizes.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michal Shipman
on Jun 2, 2013 at 10:29:41 pm

Great. So then my last question is, am I able to unscale RED footage in a 1080p timeline or am I stuck with it automatically scaling to 1920x1080? Reason I ask, one of the great things about RED footage is if you need to punch in, and your final output is 1080p, you can zoom in a great deal with out losing quality as long as the clip doesn't have "scale to frame" enabled.

--
Michal Shipman
Editor, Colorist, Director, DVD & Bluray Design
http://www.michalshipman.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2988456/
---------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jun 2, 2013 at 10:44:30 pm

That functionality will come in v7.

Michael

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:44:19 am

Hello Michael,

The way I like to work (which is not for everyone) is to transcode to DNxHD36, edit and reframe as needed and save out an AAF to build my edit in Resolve. The AAF will save all your reframes (including keyframe moves - but test first) and can be turn on or off at conform (import AAF option window) or can be activated or de-activated on a per clip basis. All reframes are % based on any resolution you work in. So you can edit in MC at 720P and Online in Resolve at 1080P or 4K and the reframes will be the same.

I use this for open matte style of editing offline - shoot 1.89:1 on the Epic (with 2.39:1 or 16x9 frame guides), edit and reframe as needed. In Resolve create a custom timeline 1920x804 or a normal 1080P. Then under "Image Scaling" set to "Input Scaling Preset: Scale full frame with crop". This will either cut off the 2.39:1 image top and bottom plus your reframing (moving up, down, in or out) or cut off a very small amount off the sides plus your reframing (moving up, down, in or out).

I then export back to Media Composer with a new AAF - anything Resolve can't do is still in the AAF and is completed by MC.

For non-transcode workflow, you could try (untested by me), editing with AMA R3Ds and exporting a AAF to Resolve and see if the reframes work and export back to Media Composer by rendering out DNxHD or ProRes? Saving you rendering all the offline clips.

Or wait for Media Composer 7 and do it all in one program?

I hope this is helpful?

Cheers,
Robert

Return to posts index

Michal Shipman
on Jun 3, 2013 at 6:47:32 am

Thanks for the quick responses. I think at this time I'll stick with Premiere Pro's native Red Workflow and give MC7 a try when that's released. I want to avoid any type of transcoding as much as possible.

--
Michal Shipman
Editor, Colorist, Director, DVD & Bluray Design
http://www.michalshipman.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2988456/
---------------------------

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:11:29 am

Roberts workflow is similar as mine.
I know that this is an endless debate and that editing R3D on proxies and conform outside for more than hd, Or simply to CC in a dedicated app, reframe etc... is not for everyone, but...
Yes it's a step more, and #7 Ian't going to break the hd barrier anyway but just crop. (Would have prefered to
See a DS upgrade at NAB, but...)
If we're talking about small volume and tasks like weadings, PP is a better option. A red rocket could also
Be considered.
But editing in dnxhd lowres and conform later to R3Ds has serious advantages and not just a painfull obliged step. Sometimes, more is more. But will depend on the Type of work. A non-transcode
Workflow is not the ultimate
Holly grail imo. Personaly, even
With ama, I don't consider avid
A "transcode-free" nle, regardless
Of the amaed format. In many ways,
Avid leads to a kind of editing spirit,
If I may say it like that, and I
Understand that it's not for
Everyone's needs.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Robert Pitman
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:32:08 am

I totally agree with you Fred, especially about a "transcode free" NLE is not the ultimate goal. Partly because I hope that cameras keep pushing the limits of bit depth, data rates etc and demand a offline on online workflow because they are better than what we an imagine possible today.

It is still Avid's job to keep chasing those codecs down and make our interaction as editors easier and easier with these codecs or resolutions. I see the (selectable) databasing of AMA volumes as part of Avid making our workflows more mature and I look forward to Media Composer 7 because of it.

As someone relatively new to Media Composer I can tell you I am whole heartily impressed by Media Composers deep control of media inside its MXF system. Watch how your ideas of "media offline" or "media managing" a finished project or moving system to system mid project changes once you get grounded in the program.

Don't sell yourself or Media Composer short by not looking at the positive and negatives of different workflows (true of any program) can give you. Finding the time is the real issue.

My way into Media Composer has been the excellent Avid training programs (getting David East as our trainer sure helped this) and equally excellent course books they offer, plus the great video podcasts by Kevin P McAuliffe and reading here on the cow.

Also check out Avid's forums at http://community.avid.com/forums
You will need to create a user, I believe?

Cheers,
Robert

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:18:33 am

Yeah, I've done a LOT of Red shows in Avid now, and I've resigned myself to transcoding to DNx36. At first I was bummed, but ultimately I've come to appreciate it. Far easier to scroll thru, easier to share the project with assistants and other editors, etc. And the online conform isn't nearly as complicated as it seemed at first.

Chris Conlee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]