FORUMS: list search recent posts

A/B side previews in trim mode disappear when clips have 3d warp effects on them

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Sarfatty
A/B side previews in trim mode disappear when clips have 3d warp effects on them
on Jun 1, 2013 at 4:06:48 pm

Just upgraded to 6.5. Don't remember seeing this in previous versions, but I also don' work much with Avid anymore so maybe I forgot.

If I have 3d warp effects on clips, and I enter trim mode, the clips I am trimming don't appear in the A/B side previews. If the clips are b-roll on V2, I just see clips underneath. If they are on v1, I just see black.

Is there some way to get the previews back?? I am working with several 4/3 clips in a 16/9 seq. I was using 3D warp over resize and reformat/pan and scan because I found 3d warp enabled me to cheat the aspect ratio (so it's not a straight conversion) and then do fake zooms using the Z access (something that otherwise required multiple effects, or lots of trikery) Not having trim previews is making me bonkers.

Return to posts index

Brian Sarfatty
Re: A/B side previews in trim mode disappear when clips have 3d warp effects on them
on Jun 1, 2013 at 4:46:25 pm

I did some experimentation. Apparently I CAN stack two Resizes (one to adjust and lock aspect ratio, one to do the fake cam move) and still see previews in trim mode.

Not so elegant, but something to way pros and cons with the 3d warp method.

I wish the Pan and Scan effect had some ability to tweak the aspect ratio it uses. It lets me tweak aspect ration and do moves in one effect. But for me, it's squashing the footage too much - giving me slightly skinnyhead people that noticeably look a bit off when mixed with footage actually shot 16/9. I'm noticing 100/125 is about right (as opposed to 100/133 which is the mathematically perfect 4/3 to 16/9 correction).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]