FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID, server and Thursby's DAVE

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joachim Strand
AVID, server and Thursby's DAVE
on May 31, 2013 at 3:48:19 am

Does anyone know whether DAVE does other things than negate the irritating Project Setting Save error message?

I am setting up AVID (MC v6 on Mac OS 10.7.5) to connect to an Isilon server set up via SMB for an educational institution. Everything works fine (AMA, copying media files, saving bin files etc.), even the project file saves, but I still get the error message.

Installing DAVE negates the error message, which is very nice, but it seems an expensive exercise to pay for a large number of DAVE licenses simply to avoid an error message. My alternate plan is to save project locally, then copy project file to server and/or thumbdrive.

Does anyone know whether DAVE actually does more than simply negate the error message? Are there other processes going on in the background that will suffer without DAVE? Does DAVE provide speed improvements or other additional 'goodies'?

Your help/advice/information will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Joachim

Return to posts index

Jonathan Abrams
Re: AVID, server and Thursby's DAVE
on May 31, 2013 at 1:43:02 pm

Does the Isilon support AFP? If so, switch to that.

EditShare requires DAVE for SMB shares with Media Composer. I have not seen a list of what DAVE does for EditShare's product or what problems will exist if DAVE is not used. The way it was explained to me is that Apple's implementation of SMB is subject to breakage and performance issues. DAVE is more stable and reliable than Apple's SMB.

EditShare is now qualifying using AFP without DAVE, so that may be the cheaper option if you can use AFP.

--
Jonathan S. Abrams, CEA, CEV, CBNT
Apple Certified - Technical Coordinator (v10.5) Support Professional (v10.6 and v10.7)
Vice-Chairman, NY section, AES

Return to posts index

Chris Devers
Re: AVID, server and Thursby's DAVE
on May 31, 2013 at 5:07:19 pm

I work for EditShare, so I can’t comment on Isilon one way or the other, but I do know a bit about DAVE.

DAVE is an implementation of the SMB/CIFS (“Samba”) standard for Macs. While it’s true that Apple has included their own implementation of Samba in Mac OS X since 10.0, DAVE actually predates this — it goes back to the 1990s, and Thursby claims they helped write the SMB/CIFS standard in conjunction with Microsoft — and Thursby’s implementation continues to be more compliant with the spec than Apple’s. And it tends to be faster, too.

Thus, DAVE functions like a protocol handler, much like a web browser. By default, Macs ship with Safari, which handles all attempts to access http:// or https:// URLs. However, if for whatever reason you don't like Safari, you can install Chrome or Firefox or Opera, and make it the default browser instead. Safari is still installed, and you can launch it manually, but if you just follow a link from Apple Mail or what have you, then the system-wide default browser will be launched. That’s what DAVE does: it doesn't replace Apple’s SMB software (e.g. /sbin/mount_smbfs etc), but rather it installs its own software (e.g. /sbin/mount_cifs etc) and configures the system to launch that when smb:// or cifs:// URLs are being accessed.

On the EditShare side of things, there’s a laundry list of reasons that we’ve generally recommended DAVE, depending on the workflow you’re trying to implement. It improves the performance of both Avid and Final Cut Pro in varying ways, and there are certain video codecs that will not work reliably unless DAVE is installed. While there are exceptions — for example, using uncompressed HD in FCP will only work via AFP — for most workflows, DAVE just seems to work more reliably than Apple’s SMB or AFP options.

That said, Jonathan Abrams is correct that EditShare has been working on improving support for AFP, which historically has always had much better performance than Samba, but has also had some annoying & possibly show-stopping bugs. These can be overcome though, and an AFP workflow can be a compelling alternative in many scenarios.

For the Isilon scenario at this school, again, I cannot comment on what else may be going on there, but it sounds like DAVE is smoothing over some of the same eccentricities we see in EditShare environments. You’re noticing so far that installing DAVE suppresses errors about saving project files, but it may also be that, for example, the workstations with DAVE installed are less prone to see things like stuttering playback when scrubbing in timelines, dropped frames when capturing or playing out footage, etc.

--
Chris Devers
EditShare Tech Support
support ( at ) editshare • com
http://editshare.com
Twitter: @EditShare & @ESLightWorks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]