FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing MXF from multiple files for multiple bins.

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meredith Aylward
Importing MXF from multiple files for multiple bins.
on May 29, 2013 at 2:30:09 pm

Hello There

I am currently making the ol switch over to AVID MC6 from FCP7 and PP5.5. I have been going through hundreds of tutorials and forums etc etc, but still alas, I can not find the answer to my problem. Please forgive my ignorance being new to MC and Thank you in advance for the any advice.

Heres my problem:

I am working on a documentary shot over 14 days. Everyday has a lot of footage, so I would like to place them in bins with their own sequences (I really like MC organizing capablities). However placing 14 days of footage just into the "1" folder seems mad, but I understand why etc. But now my problem comes in as I add 1 days worth of footage to the "1". I import them with the media tool to my chosen bin and thats fine, but now the next day of footage is put into the "1" folder and I open media tool and I can't tell which clips are which as the previous day (bins) footage is in there too. I thought about looking at shoot date, but transcoding from .mov to mxf seems to have wiped the meta data off.

What am i missing here? must I add a a "2" folder or "100"? as far as I have researched thats for different projects.

Could anybody offer advice or a link to a tutorial as all the tuts on importing are around AMA linking and importing .mov, which I can't do as all the footage is mxf. Ive looked on both avid and creative cows sites and done many a tut. Please advise I am at a loss and I need to get syncing!!

Thanks again

any advice would be great

Kind Regards

Meredith

Editor/Film maker
Cape Town South Africa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing MXF from multiple files for multiple bins.
on May 29, 2013 at 5:34:27 pm

You are approaching Avid MC like you do FCP or PPro. Stop. Leave the "1" folder alone. That's how Avid organizes things...you need to stick to doing things in the project.

You use AMA to access the tapeless media. Then you consolidate (if an Avid native format like MXF...Canon C300 shoots this, Panasonic P2)...or transcode if anything else. Move the transcoded clips to new bins, keep the AMA footage bins separate. You'll need them later to reconnect to the masters if you wish.

Stick to organizing on the project level. Stay out of the numbered folders.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Meredith Aylward
on May 30, 2013 at 11:18:56 am

Hi Shane

Thank you so very much for the response. But before I read your post I read on another forum that a way to organise Bins is to put new footage in the "1" Bin and move old footage (old, meaning it has been placed in a Bin) to "100" folder, remove the data bases close Mc, re-open and drag the new database in "1" to the chosen Bin. This seemed to be the only way I have managed to get my footage in at all.

However I would rather follow your instructions as I am sure it is probably the best way. But, I try to do an AMA link to the footage and it gives me an error message that I do not have the right plug in and to check console. But in Console it shows I have the latest MXF plug in???

The footage was shot on the Canon 5D Mk3 and mk2 and then transcoded to MXF (my boss made that call, I had no say).

I understand I should work within the project, but is it detrimental to my project (or future habits) if I carry on this way of copying the database into the bin?

Or is the best way to work as you say, in which case there's something wrong with my system or my settings?

Thanks again for any advice, I am being forced to go into avid and have had to teach myself over the internet so I am sure there's a few things I am understanding incorrectly, any clarity or link to a site that could offer advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about the long message.

Kind Regards

Meredith

Im using Avid MC 6 on a Mac G5 with 6gb ram.

Editor/Film maker
Cape Town South Africa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2013 at 4:04:30 pm

That's more advanced stuff, that I reserve for people who know Avid well. Beginners on the app, I tell to avoid that sort of thing. But, if you feel comfortable doing it...feel free.

As for AMA...install ALL the AMA plugins you can. That might install some component that is missing. I had this issue with C300 footage, and just installed all the AMA plugins and that solved it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Meredith Aylward
on May 30, 2013 at 4:16:16 pm

Ok great, yeah the dadtabase copying is working for me and once thats done I will stay inside the program for sure. So glad to hear it is ok to use otherwise I would have had to start again.

I will install all the plugins as you say and try the AMA linking on a commercial next week. So thanks for that info.Think I need to stay away from FCP and PPro for now.

Can't thank-you enough, really, really appreciate the response and advice.

All the best!

:)

Editor/Film maker
Cape Town South Africa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]