FORUMS: list search recent posts

AMC - transferring from mac to avid server

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Lent
AMC - transferring from mac to avid server
on May 27, 2013 at 1:51:11 pm

Hi there,

Im a student in college learning production and post production. Unfortunately, using the college equipment was not an option for me and I had to do most of my editing at home.

I am at the end of the college year and now need to transfer everything (including project sessions) from my imac to the college server. To make matters more complicated the college only use PC's.

From other forums and posts i see i need to not only transfer the project footage, but MXF files also. The problem is that I cant locate where the MXF files are. Im running mountain Lion. All footage is stored on the internal drive and I have one external drive which is used for backup storage only (i cant see any related files on the external drive).

Questions:
Where can I find the MXF files, and are there any other related files I need?

What is the best way to transfer mac to pc, are there any websites that allow a one off transfer rather than a monthly subscription? (around 60gb footage+ additional files)

Once I have it on the PC is it just as straightforward as transferring to the server or do I have to relink all the file?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: AMC - transferring from mac to avid server
on May 27, 2013 at 6:15:31 pm

Look for any folder at the root level of any attached drive, including the system drive named" "Avid MediaFiles". All your media is in there. That is the folder you would copy/send.

I don't know of any one-off send for that size, but considering it's 60GB, a USB drive would be fastest. Copu to that, bring to the school and copy from a local client to the server for fastest copy.

Once you copy the MediaFile folder to the root drive of the school system, or the contents of your folder to the contents of the school system, then opening the project should link directly. Make sure you don't copy over, delete folders that already exist on the school server as they will be deleted. Let the school admin deal with that.

Michael

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 28, 2013 at 11:09:22 am

If you are transferring to a usb drive, make sure it is formatted as Fat32. If it is formatted as a Mac (HFS+ or Mac OS Extended). Otherwise your lab PCs will not be able to see it.

Do you need your entire project, really? Could you just take your final sequence? You could always export your sequence as an embedded AAF (select your sequence in your bin and choose export AAF, and set your options to consolidate and embed Audio and Video).

This would allow you to import into your lab system and it would bring in only the footage needed for your timeline.

Based on your posting, here is a checklist of things you will need if we assume you need everything:

1. Your project. Under Users->Shared->AvidMediaComposer->Shared Avid Projects (assuming you chose Shared projects).

2. a Drive formatted so that a windows machine can read it. Best to format it as Fat32. I would take your drive to the lab techs and have them format it as Fat32.

3. Your MediaFiles. To copy all of the files over, go to your Machintosh HD and choose the folder called Avid MediaFiles. Then drag it to your external HD.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 28, 2013 at 11:48:19 am

I use xFAT formatting to transfer between OS's as it does not have the file size limitations of FAT32.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]