FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is best workflow for editing a wedding?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
What is best workflow for editing a wedding?
on May 26, 2013 at 2:03:11 am

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best workflow for me using Media Composer 6 since I come from Final Cut 7.

I have a wedding I am going to edit in Media Composer 6. I imported all of the footage, which was imported into Final Cut Pro on a Mini-DV, HD 1440 x 1080i, into the Avid Browser using AMA Link.

Can I edit this whole project, it is 3 tapes about 2 and half hours of footage, using the AMA imported footage? The final project on the timeline will come out to be about an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes. I will also be using Music, Titles, and video stills that I take from this footage.

Do I have to consolidate or transcode anything before or during the edit? I'd rather not. Can I edit the project, then transcode or consolidate it afterwards?

Which is best when I want to make it a QT file then import it into Premiere Pro just to add chapters then bring it into Medai Encoder and eventually into Encore to make a Blu-Ray Disc out of it?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: What is best workflow for editing a wedding?
on May 27, 2013 at 4:50:24 am

I wouldn't use Avid to edit a wedding. Use Premiere Pro...you have it already. And you can mix pictures easier, no transcoding, and go to all your other Adobe apps from it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 28, 2013 at 11:21:20 am

I have edited wedding in Avid many times, and Avid does a great job with longform media. It is a great opportunity to get going if you don't have a tight deadline. I could crank it out quick, but I have been using Avid for years.

Sometimes starting out on a new system is helped by having a project to help motivate you through the learning curve. That being said, Avid is hard to stumble through, especially with multicam and pictures that get the "Ken Burns" effect.

I would select the media in your bin, then go under Consolidate. This will copy the media into an Avid friendly wrapper. For Longform material AMA can get a bit unwieldy.

Do you have multicam material? How long do you have to edit this, and are you willing to hit a few bumps in the road? How fancy do you want your graphics?

No matter what you may be using photoshop or After Effects for some of this. You can do it in the Avid, but it will take more experience to learn all of the tools.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Adam Berch
on May 29, 2013 at 10:32:09 pm

Hi,

A long time ago I used to edit weddings with Avid XPress Pro. It worked great. Then I got a job at a place that only used Final Cut Pro. So I have been using FCP since Version 5.5 (When it became FCP HD). I still use FCP 7 and I love it.

I want to learn Avid again because I want to be ready if a job opportunity comes along. Since FCP X was released and Apple is not doing any more upgrading to FCP Studio 3. A lot of people are switching to either Premiere or Avid. I know how to use Premiere and I don't like it. I like Encore because you can create Blu-Ray discs.

So, right now I am just working with about 3 hours of footage that was shot on a Mini DV tape.(HD 1440 x 1080i) THis is not a "real" project. I'm just using it to get to know Avid again and figure out how to do the things I do in FCP 7.

I know it's going to be a few weeks for me to get it down where I know exactly where the buttons are and how and where I can use them.

So, the footage is all AMA right now just for practice. At the end I'm guess I am going to either transcode or Consolidate the entire sequence , then bring it to Premiere, just to add chapters for Encore. Then I'm going to encode it in Media Encoder then make a Blu-Ray.

The next one I'm going to do, I am going to bring in all of the footage in Avid, Via AMA, then Consolidate it and work on it that way.

I probably will have questions about that in the future.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Powell
on May 28, 2013 at 10:58:38 pm

I've done many many weddings in FCP 7, Avid and FCPX. I love avid more than any other system but not for weddings. Mainly because most weddings are now shot with dslr's/gopro stop and shoot multi cam, an absolute nightmare in Avid. If your's is shot all the way through without stopping or, than it shouldn't be any more difficult than another system. You'll definitely want to consolidate first. I haven't used the type of footage you speak of in Avid, but ama just doesn't work well for editing in avid at all especially multi-cam.

Return to posts index

jimmy jack
on Jun 24, 2013 at 3:36:06 am

i am a new here , i am also a new hd camcorder user, the camera i use was nikon d600 , it works very well , and i use Adobe premiere pro to edit the video clips from nikon d600, at the begining , i do not know how to import nikon d600 1080p .mov files to premiere pro, always errors happen, then i found an product from the following article, hope it will also do your help, have a good day!

http://hdcamcorderconverttips.altervista.org/blog/how-to-convert-nikon-1-v2...

Source:

hdcamcorderconverttips.altervista.org/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]