FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Converting 29.97 to 24p? And the repercussions of doing so?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Goodman
OT: Converting 29.97 to 24p? And the repercussions of doing so?
on May 24, 2013 at 8:47:02 pm

Hello, not necessarily an Avid question.

I have just received two Ep's of a show. Normally these are 2 camera shoots, 5D's both at 23.976. Audio recorded at 23.976 as well from an external recorder. Some multicam involved for interviews, etc. Some scenes are single cam. Also its an offline workflow to DNX36 where i then link picture lock to the original h264s and transcode again to 175.

These two episodes the ACAM was at 29.97 and the BCAM and Audio are both running 23.976. What are my options here?

I tried just out of sure panic to convert a take of the acam using mpeg streamclip to 23.976 but the audio wouldnt sync no matter how i tried, even pluraleyes failed, and there was a noticeable strobe in the footage.

Am i (or production more-so) screwed, or is there something we can do besides reshoot? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: OT: Converting 29.97 to 24p? And the repercussions of doing so?
on May 25, 2013 at 12:43:17 am

Did you try using Avid mix and match rather than MPEG Streamclip?

AMA your 29.97 ftg to a 29.97 project and transcode to DNX 36.

Move the bin with the 29.97 ftg to your 23.976 project. Does it sync?
29.97 should sync with 23.976 audio. The big problem is with true 24, which would require pull-up.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 25, 2013 at 4:53:45 am

It will still be in sync with Mix and Match regardless of frame rate.

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on May 26, 2013 at 2:52:12 am

[John Pale] "Did you try using Avid mix and match rather than MPEG Streamclip?

AMA your 29.97 ftg to a 29.97 project and transcode to DNX 36.

Move the bin with the 29.97 ftg to your 23.976 project. Does it sync?
29.97 should sync with 23.976 audio. The big problem is with true 24, which would require pull-up."

But will i be able to make group clips for multicam with the two different framerates? And will i be able to go back to the original 29.97 clips when going to online quality without having to maunally matchframe, etc?

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 26, 2013 at 1:47:58 pm

You can relink to the original media, but no multi-cam group clips, with different frame rates.

You can AMA and transcode within the 23.98 project to have everything I with the same frame rate, but you will not be able to link back to the original footage..so that option is out,

Sounds like you only have two cameras (interview?), which should not be difficult to edit without group clips...just use two video tracks and do it old school. If I have only two camera, I often don't bother grouping them by choice.

If you can't live without multicam with differing frame rates, you might want to do this in FCPX, (or possibly PPro), which can do that. If I am understanding your project, I think Multicam will be more trouble than its worth if you want to stay in Avid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]