FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does the IMPORT quality affect the EXPORT quality?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Hackstein
Does the IMPORT quality affect the EXPORT quality?
on May 20, 2013 at 7:08:12 am

Hey,

another question. I know I can choose different quality of import like 1:1 or 1:10, but does it affect the export quality or does Avid use the original source file for export?

I did watch a tutorial series for Avid, but other than for file size reasons there was nothing said about quality.

Thank you very much in advance, have a good week!

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Does the IMPORT quality affect the EXPORT quality?
on May 20, 2013 at 2:49:52 pm

It does not use the source file. If you import as a lower resolution it will transcode the source file during the import and use that transcode for future operations.

That said, once you lock your edit you can batch import at full resolution and then export.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
Re: Does the IMPORT quality affect the EXPORT quality?
on May 20, 2013 at 5:22:16 pm

Michael is right. Be carefull: the reso you imported will be the One exported from, unless you're telling the app to re-link to the highres media (wich is not necesarly your source file). that's for import.
I trust Ama to some limits, in fact, I prefer using avid's highres and lowres medias and not the source file unless it's a fully Avid's native. More hassle first but less hassle later. But that's just me.
As the refrain says: there is no one magic workflow but many.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Sam Hackstein
Re
on May 20, 2013 at 6:04:05 pm

Yeah, the resolution stays the same. When I import there is one pop up that pops up and it says something like This thing must be converted and I can click on PAL or NTSC. Never got what that does. But that's some other issue.

Regarding resolution, yes, it stays the same, no problems there. I was just talking about the compression of MFX files (or ProRes).

I would have two questions: How do I re-import (what was named "batch import" in the post above) at better quality after I am done editing?

Another one being: Which the best quality per compression format?

I when I was looking for answers I stumbled upon the following thread and his problem is that the final output is darker than the source file. I noticed that too. White colors are grey. Not that it's not fixable, but I wonder how on Earth is it possible that I have to go and color correct?

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/106861/618739.aspx

Return to posts index

Sam Hackstein
Re: Re
on May 20, 2013 at 6:10:13 pm

Found the solution to the darkening problem,

in import settings choose 601 SD or 709 HD
under < File Pixel to Video Mapping > (mine was at Computer RGB (0-255)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]