FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD and quicktimes converting to AVID MXF?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sally Moran
AVCHD and quicktimes converting to AVID MXF?
on May 20, 2013 at 1:43:42 am

Hi,

I've just walked into an Avid job on a mac after a long run on FCP, in a small outfit with no technical support. I've been importing/ ie transcoding into AVID from .mov files converting to MXF 1:1, as there will be no conform on this. The problem seems to be that about ten new files are created from the original, and they are huge by comparison. I'm running out of drive space.

The original cameras were a Sony FS3 which seems to have shot straight to quicktimes; and a Sony FS700 from which the AVCHD files were also converted to quicktimes via FCP log and transfer. Should I be transcoding directly from the AVCHD? Would the resulting files be smaller, and will AVID do it or do I need an intermediate software?

I've tried AMA but there seems to be a delay on the Mac.

Many thanks,

Sally

Huge thanks for any advice for the best workflow on this.

Cheers,

Sally

Return to posts index

Michael Troje
Re: AVCHD and quicktimes converting to AVID MXF?
on May 20, 2013 at 3:01:55 pm

Hi Sally,

Not sure if is the same workflow but I'm working on a project with .mov source files from FCP6 and importing them into MC 6.5. The .mov container that FCP uses is using s unique FCP codec which is not able to be read by MC directly. However, I have used AVS Video Converter 8 to convert the FCP .mov files to AVCHD .mov files and import them into MC using an DNxHD codec. 1:1 creates really huge files so stay with a reasonable DNxHD compression and you should be happy with the output.
I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Sally Moran
on May 20, 2013 at 11:35:50 pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this. Yes I am doing something similar, and it sounds like the files are huge whatever you do, but great to have your advice. One further question, if you'll forgive my ignorance on this. Is the DNxHD codec 1:1 online resolution? ie no conform needed? And is it a smaller file size than MXF 1:1?

Thanks so much,

Sally

Return to posts index

Michael Troje
on May 21, 2013 at 3:05:19 pm

Hi Sally,

You need to spend a little time getting to know DNxHD. It is a codec used by AVID in MC. There are several levels of compression. What you can use is based on the format of your project. AVID has a white paper on it: http://www.avid.com/static/resources/US/documents/dnxhd.pdf.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]