FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I add Avid Codec DNxHD to Compressor 3.5.3 AND What SSD size hard drive should I buy?!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nadia Lesy
How do I add Avid Codec DNxHD to Compressor 3.5.3 AND What SSD size hard drive should I buy?!
on May 19, 2013 at 8:52:08 pm

Former FCP 7 editor......

I just installed Media Composer 6.5.2 on my iMac computer and am eager to start using it.

I am looking to transcode footage I shot from various .mov formats into Avid DNxHD format to edit on MC 6. I also want to update my computer with a solid state drive and am unsure what size to get.

Question ONE:

Okay I have read earlier forum posts that suggest I download the AvidCodecsLE package to my iMac. I unzip and install the codecs. But these new options have yet to appear as an option in my Compressor 3 program.

The only options I get to export as an Avid codec are "Avid MPEG2 50mbit" OR "Avid JPEG 2000". Very frustrating! Am I missing a step?

I also downloaded MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2. It to only gives me the same 2 Avid codec options.

Question TWO:

Also, what size and type SSD Drive should I buy (to run Avid on)? Want to/need to update my computer. To either 256GB OR 512GB SSD?

This is a big question for me since it is a several hundred dollars difference.

I could either have it installed in my computer or buy a thunderbolt drive and boot my computer from there.

Someone pro out there must be able to answer my questions. Please and thanks in advance!

My iMac
Mac OS X version 10.7.5
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How do I add Avid Codec DNxHD to Compressor 3.5.3 AND What SSD size hard drive should I buy?!
on May 19, 2013 at 10:23:44 pm

#1...Avid works with MXF media...not Quicktime. So using Compressor for this is far from ideal. You'd have to convert it again for use in Avid. Where are your media files coming from? Knowing that will help us lay out a workflow for you.

#2...I have a 512 SSD in my 2012 MacBook Pro. Love it. Got it from crucial.com

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nadia Lesy
Re: How do I add Avid Codec DNxHD to Compressor 3.5.3 AND What SSD size hard drive should I buy?!
on May 20, 2013 at 7:27:50 am

Oh thanks for your response Shane!

Yeah, everyone says the bigger the SSD drive the better....
Glad to hear you are loving yours.

Well I currently am editing HD footage shot on a JVC GY HM 100 in a .MOV (Quicktime)1920 X 1080 format.

(For more info. about camera read here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/camcorders/jvc-hm100.shtml)

But I work as a freelance editor, and can be editing footage shot from many types of cameras, often DSLR ones, such as the Canon 7d which shoots in H.264.

Short term: Need to learn how to transcode .MOV/Quicktime format into an AVID codec.

Long term: Need to transcode video shot from DSLR H.264 (and possibly other codecs) for AVID

Thanks again in advance for being awesome!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 20, 2013 at 5:14:02 pm

[Nadia Lesy] "
Well I currently am editing HD footage shot on a JVC GY HM 100 in a .MOV (Quicktime)1920 X 1080 format."

What QT format? The camera shoots two...XDCAM and HDV. Both of those QT formats are in the FCP proprietary HDV and XDCAM format...meaning that you need to have FCP on the computer in order to even see them. The camera was designed for specific use with FCP. So in order to get that to work with Avid, you'll need either have FCP installed on the same computer, and then use AMA to access the media, and transcode to DNxHD. or convert it on a computer with FCP to a QT format Avid understands, like DNxHD. MPEG STREAMCLIP should do this. It shows all the codecs you have in the sytem.

[Nadia Lesy] "But I work as a freelance editor, and can be editing footage shot from many types of cameras, often DSLR ones, such as the Canon 7d which shoots in H.264."

Yup...very easy in Avid. AMA to access the footage, then transcode to DNxHD. Low res DNxHD 36 and then relink to the originals later if you want to work offline/online. or to DNxHD 145 or 175 if full online quality is wanted. No need to convert this to DNxHD QT first, and then bring into Avid. Avid reads the H.264s fine...AMA, then transcode.

[Nadia Lesy] "Short term: Need to learn how to transcode .MOV/Quicktime format into an AVID codec.

Long term: Need to transcode video shot from DSLR H.264 (and possibly other codecs) for AVID"

Anything from that JVC will have to be converted to another QT format if your Avid machine doesn't have FCP on it. If it does, then you can use AMA.

Here's a good AMA workflow paper:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/avid_ama_best_practices.html

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nadia Lesy
on May 21, 2013 at 3:20:09 am

Oh awesome! I will check that AMA plugin out and see how that works for me. I currently have FCP 7 running on the same computer as Avid, so it should work. Yes, I have MPEG Stream clip and it does not show that DNxHD codec even though I have downloaded it. Annoying!

Return to posts index

Nadia Lesy
on May 21, 2013 at 3:37:00 am

The JVC camera gives me two settings. .MOV/ Quicktime or MP4. The footage was recorded in .MOV/Quicktime.

The only reference to XDCam I see is the following from article link above, "this is the first video camera to shoot directly to Apple's QuickTime movie format (.MOV). JVC has licensed the format from Apple and has also licensed the Sony XDCAM EX codec from Sony. Thus, shooting XDCAM EX wrapped in a .MOV envelope."

Otherwise, I will check that AMA plugin out and see how that works for me. I currently have FCP 7 running on the same computer as Avid, so it should work?

Yes, I have MPEG Stream clip and it does not show that DNxHD codec even though I have downloaded it repeatedly. Annoying! GRRRRRRRR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]