FORUMS: list search recent posts

Full clip not working- HOW TO VIEW FULL DURATION OF CLIP

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirst Allnutt
Full clip not working- HOW TO VIEW FULL DURATION OF CLIP
on May 19, 2013 at 1:47:15 pm

I am currently doing a documentary at university and we are expected to learn to use Avid Media Composer 6 to edit the piece. I have consolidated my footage and all that jazz, but the interview clips which were filmed have been cut short even in the composer window. They start at a random time in the middle of the interview and don't finish either. We had to link the media (audio and video) and not import it. Do we have to increase the duration of the media somehow? We knwo that the interviews are completely there as we have viewed them in Premier Pro, they just arent fully there in Avid.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Full clip not working- HOW TO VIEW FULL DURATION OF CLIP
on May 19, 2013 at 4:33:38 pm

What camera was used to shoot this footage? Did you use AMA to access the media, then transcode? How exactly did you bring it in?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kirst Allnutt
on May 19, 2013 at 5:38:45 pm

We used a Panasonic P2 Camera (DV). Yes we used AMA to link the media. All the footage seems to be fine, it only seems to be a problem with the longer interview clips which are over 25 minutes each. Is there some sort of duration limiter that we need to change in order to allow the full clip to be linked?

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 20, 2013 at 11:24:25 am

There is not s duration limiter. Since Avid went to MXF, a clip can be hours long with no issue.

Avid links material based on source name and timecode.

The first thing I would do is open a new project, and link just 1 clip using AMA or as few as possible using AMA, then see if it works.

I anticipate your camera probably named each clip the same thing (Some P2 cameras do this). 001.mxf, 002.mxf, then when you change cards it starts again at 001.mxf.

Some of the benefit/detriment of working with FCP or Premier is that they allow you to mask problems. You can import a clip from multiple locations and it will keep them separate (until something becomes unlinked, then it is a disaster). Avid requires you get this straight up front, otherwise your clips could become a jumble, mashup of each other. This would be like shooting a film, and having the same keycode on each frame.

The proper workflow would be to rename your P2 files something unique (using a P2 utility, not sure if you are mac or pc). Then AMA link them in and start working. Eventually you should consolidate your clips by selecting in your bin, right clicking and consolidate.

Remember in FCP where, everything worked better if you imported and rendered everything in prores? You need to consolidate your material, which gathers it into a specific location where Avid can always find it. It does not convert you material, but it tracks it better.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 20, 2013 at 5:25:22 pm

Make sure you are linking correctly with the P2 folder structure. If you drill into the nested folders and link you might not get spanned clips to work properly or at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]