FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Guide says don't mix AMA workflow with import/batch import method BUT...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Meg Twomey
Avid Guide says don't mix AMA workflow with import/batch import method BUT...
on May 16, 2013 at 8:43:38 pm

The Avid QT AMA guide says "You should not mix workflows. Either use the AMA method or use the traditional import/batch import method."

I have the bulk of my project as archival footage and have received some HD clips in the same format as my project. I tried AMA linking to these HD clips and I'm getting a message saying "unable to link using AMA".

Should I import these into my project? Transcoded/converted clips that will not be relinked will be used during the edit, so it seems ok to import these files - yes??

I just don't want to get into the edit and have problems as a result, so any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Avid Guide says don't mix AMA workflow with import/batch import method BUT...
on May 16, 2013 at 11:34:32 pm

When you say "same format" as my project, what is that exactly; MXF wrapped DNxHD at the frame rate of the project? An MXF wrapper versus a QuickTime wrapper will change the way you import/link to the media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Meg Twomey
Re: Avid Guide says don't mix AMA workflow with import/batch import method BUT...
on May 17, 2013 at 2:50:54 pm

Hi Michael,

The HD QT clips that don't want to AMA link are 1920x1080p 23.98 'apch' linear PCM and my project is 1080p 23.98. I'm not sure why they won't link to AMA.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on May 17, 2013 at 6:04:13 am

For close to a year when we got two new cameras that recorded in XDCAM we ended up with projects with two angles of XDCAM via AMA and one angle MXF all in one multicam group. Never experienced any issues with the workflow. Definitely worth noting, we would always MXF mixdown once the edit was finalized. But never encountered any issues during the edit. This held true across MC 5.5, 6.0, and the current updates to 6.0.

On the subject of DNxHD. You can avoid having to import a mov wrapped DNxHD file by rewrapping it yourself (which saves time over the import process). I can't really give a good explanation how to do this, its been an awful long time; I remember I found a command line binary that worked with ffmbc to do the rewrapping. Ultimately it'll probably save time overall to just import, than search out a new method.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]