FORUMS: list search recent posts

CODEC question

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
CODEC question
on May 13, 2013 at 5:02:23 pm

I've imported my footage for a project from the canon c300.

When I look in the bin in the footage column, it says "SD 23.976p NTSC"

Does this mean that I transcoded it in SD by mistake (I want it to be full 1920x1080).

If so, what the best way to reconnect the somewhat complicated timelines to the HD footage?

Do I re-transcode to HD, then relink the timeline to the HD footage?

THanks in advance!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: CODEC question
on May 13, 2013 at 5:08:21 pm

Hey Dan,

The column you want to look at to see what resolution your footage has been transcoded to is called "Video", so head over to the "hamburger" at the bottom left of the bin, click it, select "Choose Columns", and then make sure Video is selected. Then, make sure you project is set to HD in the "Format" tab in the main project window. Let me know if this helps.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 13, 2013 at 5:15:48 pm

Hi Kevin.
Appreciate your fast reply and help!

My format tab says "23.976pNTSC" (not 23.976/1080p)
The video column says "1:1 (NTSC)

I'm assuming this means I'm in SD in this project by accident?
And that's why I might have transcoded everything into SD??

If so, what's the best way to migrate over to HD without rebuilding my timelines from scratch?
I'm assuming I'll need to re-import the footage into a properly formatted project in 1080?

THanks again!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
on May 13, 2013 at 5:26:35 pm

Hey Daniel,

All you should have to do is to switch your project over to a 1080 23.98 project setting (in the "Format" tab), and once you do this, all your import settings will change and be updated for the HD codecs. Also, there is no relinking required. Once a clip is in a timeline, it's there, SD or HD. You should be able to now delete all your SD media, and just batch import (that's the important part, batch import, not re-import) your clips, and your timelines will re-populate with the nice, clean HD footage, and you should be all set to go. If in doubt, follow the above, but only delete one clip, and give it a whirl. Once you see that it works, do it with all your clips. Hope this helps.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 13, 2013 at 5:34:00 pm

Very helpful!
I will give it a try.

Thanks again.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 14, 2013 at 8:24:16 pm

Hi Kevin,

It seems to work some of the time and not others.
Here's my setup.

I have all the original camera files on "Drive A" from a canon c300 camera.
All the transcoded MXF files (at DV resolution) are on "Drive B" in the Avid MediaFiles folder.
All the clip names have been changed in my bins, to be more descriptive.

I go to the bin and delete one of the clips as a test, and only delete the media file, while keeping the master file.

Then when I try to do the Batch Import, only the newly named clip name shows up, not the path and old name. So I track down the path name by adding "Source/Path" to my bin columns. There I see the path and the original clip name, so then I navigate to the original camera file, and try to import.
I get various types of error messages, and the file fails to import and replace the offline media.

As an aside, I'm also having problems with linking to AMA.
I just moved Media Composer over to a new computer, reinstalled, and have had trouble getting the AMA to work. Could that be the root of the issue? (I plan to ask about this in a separate post)

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
on May 17, 2013 at 4:55:33 am

In your original post, you said you imported the clips. Did you import, or AMA link to, and then transcode? Just curious. Also, have you run the Canon AMA installer? Let me know.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 21, 2013 at 2:32:01 pm

Hi Kevin,

I was able to run the Canon AMA installer by logging out, creating a new user, and installing into that user. I also installed the Canon XF utility. Then I went back to my regular user.

I originally linked to AMA then transcoded the files.

Thanks, Dan

Dan S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]