FORUMS: list search recent posts

File types difficulties!!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Solomon
File types difficulties!!
on May 12, 2013 at 6:39:45 am

Hi all the name's Ash and I was just wondering if anyone out there can help me with a simple problem please!
I keep trying to import avi files into avid and I keep getting a msg : avi is not supported for import
This should be the simplest step but instead a frustrating brick wall LOL
I'll be extremely appreciative if anyone can suggest anything because I would just love to get past this and begin editing!!!
Thanks guys
Cheers Ash

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: File types difficulties!!
on May 12, 2013 at 1:28:12 pm

If a format is not supported for import, then it is best to transcode it to an Avid friendly format before the import. If you have MPEG Streamclip or other application that does open the file, you can export from there directly into an Avid DNxHD in a QuickTime container and either import or AMA link to that file for editing.

Michael

Return to posts index

Ashley Solomon
on May 12, 2013 at 7:14:57 pm

Thanks Michael I'll give all that a go today.
I really appreciate your input. So far just last night I temporarily gave up on AVID and loaded Camtasia which isn't bad, but not up there in the realm of AVID. What I did was I converted the AVI to a MP4 then opened it in Camptasia whereas AVID appears to still not even open MP4s. Maybe I should try MPEG also and see if they open in AVID.
I really thought a program like AVID would be a bit more open as in shaking hands with more file formats, but I suppose there is a valid reason for everything.
Thanks again Michael
Cheers Ash

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on May 12, 2013 at 9:59:07 pm

Are you importing, or using AMA? A basic rule of thumb is if you can open it in MoviePlayer, it can be imported or AMA'd.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]