Transcoding SD NTSC and PAL footage for a 1080p 23.98 project
on May 11, 2013 at 2:16:08 pm

Hi all...

I've got a lot of film archival footage in multiple Quicktime formats:

NTSC SD 720x480 29.97
720x480 23.98
720x486 23.98
PAL 720X576 25fps

All of these need to be cut in Avid Media Composer 6.5 in a 1080p 23.98 project.

We will order HD versions of the above archival footage at the end, once we have picture locked.

Scenario 1:
Is it best to open a 1080p 23.98 project in MC and transcode these to DNX36 (our offline codec)? If I do that, won't the audio fall out of sync?

Scenario 2:
If I create projects for each of these formats and transcode into a high quality DV codec, we'll have to resize each clip in the timeline, but the audio will playback properly yes? But later, when we add the HD versions of the clips, we have to hand cut those back in (but we'll have to do that in either of these scenarios right? - as opposed to AMA linking back to the footage files)

Also, is there any advantage to converting all of these files to a certain format before bringing them into Avid?

I've set up to link to AMA in separate projects with native formats at the moment in order to log and put markers on the footage, believing that we would pull the bins into the 1080p 23.98 project and that the Avid would handle the mixed formats within the timeline. Is this most efficient, or should it be done another way?

I need to transcode these clips as quickly as possible as the edit is beginning, help! I need answers fast!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Also- this is being done on a Mac using MC 6.5

Meg

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Transcoding SD NTSC and PAL footage for a 1080p 23.98 project
on May 12, 2013 at 8:45:23 am

In sc 1. your audio will not fall out of sync, it will run at 100%. Picture will be altered to maintain realtime duration, but this is likely to introduce frame rate conversion artifacts.

You are probably going to be better off having this framerate conversion done outside MC prior to editing or prior to finishing. Especially 25 to 23.976 is not an easy conversion. You may have better luck slowing the source footage down to 23.976 rather than converting at realtime.

Return to posts index

Meg Twomey
Re: Transcoding SD NTSC and PAL footage for a 1080p 23.98 project
on May 13, 2013 at 6:11:03 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]