FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Symphony 6.0.3 won't launch, error message and console details in post

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frances Draeger
Avid Symphony 6.0.3 won't launch, error message and console details in post
on May 10, 2013 at 2:46:10 pm

I've just run into an issue with the Avid Symphony at work. We have two startup hard drives in the Mac Pro, one for Final Cut and one for the Avid. The FCP side rarely gets used, but I needed to use it the other day so I booted into it. After I was done I booted back into the Avid side, but Avid Symphony would not launch. After being stuck on Import/Export on the splash screen, it stopped and brought up the dialogue with this inscrutable message: Exception: AvCFTypeRefPtr: Invalid input reference. I tried to use the Pro Maintenance Tool from Digital Rebellion--it fixed some permissions but the program still won't start. And unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information on Google about this particular error message.

I opened up Console and copied and pasted the text below. Can anyone help me decipher it? I'd really appreciate it.

5/10/13 10:26:34.965 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].com.avid.symphony: [ 85.939][WARNING]: QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
5/10/13 10:27:46.545 AM Finder: _CSIsWirelessP2PEnabled::copyPrimaryAirPortInterface failed
5/10/13 10:29:58.972 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].com.avid.symphony: versionMajor = 5 versionMinor = 5 versionSubminor = 0 versionBuildNumber = 0
5/10/13 10:29:58.972 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].com.avid.symphony: <-> LavaFlow already inited
5/10/13 10:29:58.972 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].com.avid.symphony: failed to execute 'wgJXDKBridge.command': error 0x2
5/10/13 10:29:58.972 AM [0x0-0x2c02c].com.avid.symphony: LavaHWCapsManager::CreateMyHWCaps No HWCaps file found setting to NULL 314.189907 Exception: AvCFTypeRefPtr: invalid input reference.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
Re: Avid Symphony 6.0.3 won't launch, error message and console details in post
on May 10, 2013 at 3:03:50 pm

Hey Frances,

Two things. First, update your Symphony to 6.0.3.4, the newest patch update for that version of Symphony. Next, I'm assuming you're using Nitris hardware. Try a complete shutdown, and shut off the Nitris box by unplugging it. Wait 10 seconds, plug in back in, and power up to see if this resolves the issue. Keep me posted.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Frances Draeger
on May 10, 2013 at 3:14:13 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. We're using a Mojo DX here, should I restart that per your suggestion?

Return to posts index

Kevin P McAuliffe
on May 10, 2013 at 3:25:06 pm

Hey Frances,

Update first. Then, try booting up with the MOJO off, and see what happens. If the application launches, you've narrowed it down to a hardware issue, then do the power cycle. Keep me posted.

Kevin P McAuliffe
Creative COW Leader
kevinpmcauliffe@gmail.com
Twitter: @kpmcauliffe

Return to posts index

Frances Draeger
on May 10, 2013 at 6:45:46 pm

Hi Kevin,

I updated the Avid to 6.0.3.4. I restarted the Mojo DX. I also tried starting up Symphony after shutting down and unplugging the Mojo, but that just gave me a kernel panic when the splash screen got to the "initializing hardware" part.

The patch didn't solve anything, but I created a new temporary user and it seems to work fine there. I think the problem has something to do with the Home folder on the original user, because when I deleted the old user and recreated it with the same name and password (without deleting the contents of the Home folder), it still wouldn't work on that particular user. Unfortunately repairing disk permissions didn't help either.

For now I'm just going to work off the new temporary user, and ask my supervisor whether I'm allowed to wipe that old user's Home folder. Hopefully that should solve it.

Thanks for your help--updating to 6.0.3.4 is still a good call regardless of whether it fixed this particular issue. I hear that Avid fixed a lot of bugs in this version.

Return to posts index

Frances Draeger
on May 10, 2013 at 7:01:42 pm

Hi Kevin,

I updated the Avid to 6.0.3.4. I restarted the Mojo DX. I also tried starting up Symphony after shutting down and unplugging the Mojo, but that just gave me a kernel panic when the splash screen got to the "initializing hardware" part.

The patch didn't solve anything, but I created a new temporary user and it seems to work fine there. I think the problem has something to do with the Home folder on the original user, because when I deleted the old user and recreated it with the same name and password (without deleting the contents of the Home folder), it still wouldn't work on that particular user. Unfortunately repairing disk permissions didn't help either.

For now I'm just going to work off the new temporary user, and ask my supervisor whether I'm allowed to wipe that old user's Home folder. Hopefully that should solve it.

Thanks for your help--updating to 6.0.3.4 is still a good call regardless of whether it fixed this particular issue. I hear that Avid fixed a lot of bugs in this version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]