FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subclips and audio way out of sync!

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick DuShevits
Subclips and audio way out of sync!
on May 9, 2013 at 2:27:45 am

Hello, technically I'm a complete newbie here so I apologize if I do something incorrectly and let me know so I don't do it again!

My friend and I are using
MC6.5.2.1 and ProTools 10

Long story short:
Filmed four days of footage on Super16
Got it back from the labs with a 2K raw scan and 1080p ProRes color corrected
Friend imported the 4 ProRes color corrected files covering all four days and synced sound with the audio kit's recordings and exported an AAF.

I imported the AAF and dropped the video files into a temporary sequence. This gave me a sequence with synced sound to the ProRes dailies (imported as ProRes MXF).

I then set my in and out points and created new sequences throughout each long "ProRes daily role" and placed these individual sequences into bins. Effectively cutting up these 4 giant roles into their scenes and shots.

Then with these mini "sequences" I AutoSynced them to create actual subclips and began editing with them.

This has worked great, until today....

I had to show a professor a rough cut and work in an Avid session with him so I plugged in my external, duplicated my main sequence in its own bin, "set bin display" to show reference files, and consolidated the entire bin to my external HDD. This looked great and my media was all online when I arrived.

But the sound is WAY off. They are appropriately labeled and matchback points back to the correct subclips, but the subclips have now associated themselves with totally wrong audio. One subclip of a scene in the beginning of the film links to takes in scenes at the end.

I can't begin to explain where I may think the problem is, other than I do have the raw .WAV files from the sound kit in separate bins. Could the subclips somehow be linking to those? The original sequences with the daily role and synced sound are all correct, it is just the subclips themselves, which sadly are what I made the entire film out of.

The only thing subclips want to point me to is the original ProRes video, but that does not have the synced sound.

My question is, does anybody have any idea of how subclips work with in and out points in a sequence, and how can I somehow relink these subclips to the correct audio clips or something other than literally reediting this entire film.

Avid Attic gives me the ability to go back to previous bins, but it does not (or at least to my knowledge) give me any previous subclips.

I'm listening to any and all suggestions and thank you so much!

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: Subclips and audio way out of sync!
on May 9, 2013 at 2:34:25 am

Is the sound wrong, or just out of sync? It could be linking to the wrong material.

Out of sync seems quite odd. Is it the same version of Avid that you have been working with?

The attic stores old version of the whole bin, not just sequences.

However, if you have a linking problem that may not help.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Nick DuShevits
on May 9, 2013 at 2:44:43 am

It's wrong. the subclip is linking to the wrong material. I created them out of a sequence, how do I relink a subclip back to a sequence?

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 9, 2013 at 10:57:24 am

The first step is to see what file is being referenced.

Go into a new bin and drag your subclip or sequence into that bin. Then go under the fast menu (looks like a hamburger in the lower left corner). and choose set bin display. Choose to show reference clips.

It will reveal the clips that are being referenced.

It sounds to me like the files that were imported were named the same thing, or have the same tapename info.

Not sure how it is possible, but Avid links things based on clipname and timecode. If you have the same clipname and timecode, or all bets are off.

This could certainly be an Avid software issue, but I have not seen it.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on May 9, 2013 at 7:12:22 pm

Clipname is in no way a criterium for linking in Avid. Tape or Source File plus timecode is. Labrolls and such CAN be. Not clipname, though. You can rename as much as you like.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]