FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to transcode AMA linked sequence?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Barrial
How to transcode AMA linked sequence?
on May 9, 2013 at 1:11:24 am

I am trying to export an AAF and am having all kinds of issues seemingly based on the fact that all my media is AMA linked. What would be the best workflow to get me to a sequence I can accurately export on AAF? I tried to transcode the AMA sequence and it won't offer me that option. What I would love to do (although this may be my old FCP brain working) is to make the media in the sequence go off line and then import the media with handles and then export an AAF. Does this sound right? And if so, can someone tell me the steps.

Should never had used the AMA linking in the first place.

Henry

I'm using Avid Media Composer 6.0.1 on an early 2008 Mac Pro running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 with a 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad core

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: How to transcode AMA linked sequence?
on May 9, 2013 at 1:32:59 am

AMA linking is usually pretty straight forward, but nothing is perfect.

If you select your sequence in your bin (not by selecting your timeline in the interface). The go under Clip at the top menu and select Transcode. You should have an option for handles, then choose an Avid DNxHD resolution to transcode into. Select the drive to put it on.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Henry Barrial
on May 9, 2013 at 2:58:08 am

I tried that and the Transcode button remains greyed out. I have no video on timeline, only audio because I'm trying to export an AAF. No matter what I check the Transcode button remains grey and unavailable. Curiously, in the upper right hand rectangle of the transcode window it is reported that "0 clips selected" "0 effect clips selected" "1 sequence selected."

So the transcode seems unavailable. I ask myself, is it the AMA links that won't allow transcoding? How can I transcode media that is only linked? Do I need to import media? Can't I just select the media in the sequence, make it off line and then import with handles?

Henry

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on May 9, 2013 at 9:24:08 am

Have you selected which drive you want to transcode to from the Target Drives column on the left, where it says video/data? If you have is there enough space on the drive, as it will be greyed out if there isn't.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on May 9, 2013 at 12:53:23 pm

A common Consolidate/ Transcode issue is failing to select the target drive in the LH pane. The bold drive just indicates the drive with the most free space. It isn't selected until you click it (or another drive) The window then updates the space needed and space available on that drive so you can see the operation will work.
If there isn't space it will warn you but let you continue if you want to (some operations allow the deleting of source files as it Transcodes and that could be freeing up space. A risky way to work!)

But to be clear you can AAF export linked to AMA media (as you have to for a Resolve grade linking to the original sources) or you Consolidate (if it's Avid Native media) or Transcode to make new media that the AAF will be linked to.

Pat Horridge
Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
VET
Production Editing Digital Media Design DVD
T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
http://www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square London N1 6US

Return to posts index

Henry Barrial
on May 9, 2013 at 4:04:30 pm

Thank you Pat. I will try that after I get off work but it sounds like there's a good chance that might be the issue. I hadn't thought to press that button because it already seems selected. Some of the intricacies involving Avid are new tome. I'll update later. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Henry Barrial
on May 10, 2013 at 3:32:39 am

Transcoding proceeding well. Did come across a message that basically told me I had to either convert or skip some media because it was moving at a different rate than the project rate. This is the exact message: "Some clips do not match the rate of the current project." I converted. I guess I better double check everything later.

Return to posts index

Henry Barrial
on May 10, 2013 at 7:24:45 pm

Pat, I want to thank you. The transcode worked and, just as importantly, the choice to convert 29.97 audio clips (how some of my audio got this way is anyone's guess) also worked like a charm. All my audio is checking out in sync. With your help I have gotten over my domestic feud with MC 6.0.1 and gives me hope that I won't regret choosing this path. Thanks Pat!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]