FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for a simple effect

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lewis
Question for a simple effect
on May 8, 2013 at 10:40:07 am

I am trying to create a "highlight" circle around an image, where the rest of the photo would fade to a greyed/blackened subdued background.

I'm having trouble creating this! What I ended up doing was creating three layers. V1 is the original footage. V2 is a Title containing the whole area in "black", and I've simply lowered the opacity to around 20% (or whatever looked good to create a subdued look). On layer V3 I've taken the same video image as V1 and added a PIP FX and cropped to the area I want to highlight. I matched timing to all three timelines so the image plays and at a certain point the highlight/subdued look takes place. This works but it isn't round, which is really what I wanted.

Now I readily adimit I need to seriously take an FX course/tutorial for AVID MC 6, as I am VERY weak on FX, but this should be a no-brainer FX to do.

Is there a better/easier way to create this in MC6 (note: one of the advantages I liked about FCP was the ability to do a variety of picture manipulation right in the time-line to the actual image, such as opacity, size/crop and positioning)??

Your suggesions are welcome.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
Re: Question for a simple effect
on May 8, 2013 at 11:04:17 am

David,

If you could post an image of the final look you want and your non-effect frame, iit would be much easier
To nail it.
For fx, image speaks better than any words.

Fred.

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on May 8, 2013 at 11:29:47 am

Hi Fred:

Thank you for replying. I agree with you, but I'm not even sure how to put an image in these replies.... simply copy and paste a jpeg??

Anyway... Simply imagine any video with several people in the image and you want to highlight one individual's face.

I want to do this by showing the image and having the whole photo
fade down to a subdued look ( sort of in the shadows )except keeping one face still clear and full colored, and surrounded in a circle shape (well, the rest of the image has simply subdued leaving that cicle fX as a result).

I'm pretty sure we've all seen the effect used before.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 8, 2013 at 11:36:58 am

The Avid has had paint effects for years. Go into image in the effects palette and select the paint effect.

This tutorial will get you close. Instead of doing the blur, you would make a black box full screen with opacity so that the rest of the frame is darkened, then the circle you create will subtract the black box, thus giving a highlight with or without feather.

You can also motion track your object.

This is a powerful tool. The Animatte tool is the same functions, but they key from one layer to the other.

http://community.avid.com/media/p/363679.aspx

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

David Lewis
on May 8, 2013 at 12:14:27 pm

Hi James!

Excellent help, thank you. Just watched the tutorial. I never used this FX before and I'm sure it has a LOT of applications. I'll work with it and no doubt it will resolve the issue.

I appreciate your posting.

David C. Lewis
Editor- Director
DCL Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]