FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing Up

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
Backing Up
on May 2, 2013 at 12:41:14 pm

I'm new to Avid and would like to back projects up to a different machine from which they could be opened in an emergency where my main machine could not be accessed.

I've looked at programs like MediaMover (expensive!) and MDV (my anti-viral program doesn't like the site where this is hosted) but would be grateful for advice as to the best solution.

Since I have pointed my P.C.-based projects at F: where where MC 6.5 is on C: I assume that I need to copy both the files generated from the camera media by Media Composer and the Attic files in order to be able to open the files elsewhere,- or is there more to this?

Would a simple file copy suffice for later re-opening?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: Backing Up
on May 2, 2013 at 12:56:53 pm

If you want to keep everything, you need to copy all relevant Avid MediaFiles and your Avid Project (not per se the Attic).

So on your system drive, there will likely be a place where your project are stored. Your project contains all bins and a Project file and a Settings file.

If you want to be able to track the media for any given project, you'll either need soemthing like MDV or MediaMover, or you need to get used to keeping your project media separated manually as you go.

For instance, if you start on a project, first rename all current Avid MediaFiles folders (on all media partitions) to 'Avid MediaFiles X'. This will hide these folders from MC. Start capturing/importing/rendering/editing, and MC will auto-create a new Avid MediaFiles folder. When you're done working on the project, rename those folders to 'Avid MediaFiles PROJECTNAME'. If you ever need to work on it, just rename it to Avid MediaFiles again.

If you copy media onto a different drive, MC will find it there. If you copy your project to another system, you'll be able to access it from MC.

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on May 2, 2013 at 1:00:09 pm

Thanks very much, Job.

Return to posts index

James Beattie
on May 3, 2013 at 2:46:40 am

Here is a link to MDV Avid that is more friendly.

If you are looking to copy the files from one system to another, what you should do is right click the root of your drive f: and share it. Make sure it is READ ONLY to the other users. Then you can copy your project file over to your other system and you would be able to open the same footage on both editors. You are limited by bandwidth.

The other option is to simply copy your Avid MediaFiles to your other workstation in the Avid MediaFiles folder using a tool like synctoy to sync the 2 media directories at specific times. This will keep parity if you wish. Since the Avid has databases, it should be done when you are not editing.

MDV Avid

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on May 3, 2013 at 4:26:45 am

Thanks very much, James.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]