FORUMS: list search recent posts

online/offline workflow

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
online/offline workflow
on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:44:12 pm

Okay...I first transcoded my clips to a high bitrate, and now I want to create a lower-res, offline copy.

So I simply re-transcoded all those same clips at 14:1 and got new files (with the .new at the end of the name).

What do I need to do at this point? I've already started doing a little editing with the full-res clips, and I want to switch over to the 14:1 clips.

• Do I need to switch over to the .new clips, or is there some way I can have the bins and timeline re-link to the lower resolution clips? I tried quitting AVID, then unplugging the drive with the full resolution clips, and plugging in the drive with the lower res clips, and I get the "MEDIA OFFLINE" message. How do I re-link to the lower res media without switching to using the .new clips? And then, how do I switch back to the online-hires clips when I'm done editing and ready to output?

Thanks very much,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: online/offline workflow
on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:36:32 pm

Hi Daniel.
Can you explain why you want to work with lower res clips. 20 years ago we had to as hard drive space was really expensive for really small drives, now it's so cheap for massive capacities.
Why do this?
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:06:20 pm

Um...do I have to give a good reason before I get an answer? :-)

I want to use a small, portable drive for a large project that won't otherwise fit (editing on a laptop).

Make sense?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 1, 2013 at 2:22:43 am

Select the low res clips in the bin.

Select the sequence.

Open the Relink dialog and set it to Relink to selectrd master clips in open bins.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on May 1, 2013 at 1:23:27 pm

We used to live and die by the Offline/Online workflow when everything came in off tape.
Then about 10 or so years ago we started doing a lot of stuff at full res, start to finish.
Now, yes storage is cheap, but unfortunately with all the digital media coming in, and directors forgetting what the word "cut" is, we are having to go back to Offline/online. We can easily have 4 or 5 projects on the go at once, and any one of them, if not all of them can occupy several tb.s of raw clips double or triple that for the full res transcodes.
If you only do 1 or 2 jobs at a time, it might not be that big of a deal, but there are plenty of facilities that don't need the stress of constantly having to move media around when new projects come in.

I am now "teaching" all the young guys what offline/online means, as many aren't taught the concept.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on May 1, 2013 at 6:02:27 pm

Select the low res clips in the bin.

Select the sequence.

Open the Relink dialog and set it to Relink to selectrd master clips in open bins.

Ok...just tried to do this.
But when I went into the relink box, it wouldn't let me click on the button: "Selected Itmes in ALL open bins."

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

Dan S.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on May 2, 2013 at 2:45:13 pm

You have to click source clip then the sequence, in that order. If you click the sequence first, you don't get the option as it only works on sequences.

Make sure nothing else is selected in ther bins that would confuse the issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]