FORUMS: list search recent posts

RTAS Plugin Audio Garbled/Distorted Only On Export

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
RTAS Plugin Audio Garbled/Distorted Only On Export
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:07:46 pm

Hi,

I have an extremely frustrating situation that I just can't find a solution for. I've been cutting a 2 hour documentary in Avid. The audio was recorded so poorly that I have to boost it by 32db and add 2:1 compression in Avid to have it at an acceptable level for the director and producer to judge the edits. It sounds perfectly fine, playing in the avid using the RTAS track-based plugins, but when any sort of export is made, the audio sounds garbled/distorted (like it's under water) in either quicktime or aiff or wave or audio mix down. The audio just falls apart on render. I've also tried the clip based audio effects as well and they have the same effect.

The only solution I could find was to export the individual tracks to Adobe Audition (I don't own protools) and recreate the mixing that was done in Avid in there and export. I can't even export OMFs from Avid into Audition, because the programs don't play well together.

This is extremely frustrating, having to do export all tracks individually and do a sound mix for a full feature every time I need to show a rough cut to the filmmakers.

Does anyone have any idea why the RTAS plugins make the audio sound absolutely fine in Avid, but then the sound completely falls to pieces on export? Also any ideas how to make Audition and Avid play well together? Workflow suggestions?

I'm using Avid Media Composer 6.5.2 and Adobe Audition CS6. I'm running both on a 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 macbook pro with 16GB Ram.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: RTAS Plugin Audio Garbled/Distorted Only On Export
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:50:49 pm

Audition does not import OMF or AAF but it will accept a project from Premiere, which does.

You can try that.

I was just having a similar problem last week. The RTAs plugin was not garbled but was ignored in any exports. Only worked when playing live.

I suppose, if I had a tape machine I could output to tape then recapture the audio.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:59:07 pm

Thanks, John. Sounds like the RTAS plugins need to be made a bit more reliable. Audition actually does accept OMFs. I've exported them from FCP 7 and imported into Audition on many occasions with great success. I tried using Premiere as an intermediary between Avid and Audition, but without any success. Avid doesn't make it easy to export OMFs and Premiere doesn't take AAFs properly, from my experience (even though Adobe says it does).

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:22:11 pm

Switch your project to SD in Avid temporarily and you can export OMF.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:08:21 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, John. I did try that SD approach, but couldn't produce OMF files from Avid that were readable by Audition. I'm starting to suspect there are some deterrents put in place to prevent people using Audition for sweetening vs. Protools. FCP7 and Audition played relatively well together, but I can't get a good workflow going between Avid and Audition.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 29, 2013 at 6:56:48 pm

The 'underwater' description makes me suspect phasing errors are occurring. May very well go unnoticed when stuff is panned L/R during monitoring, then summed to mono during export or playback.

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on Apr 30, 2013 at 9:01:46 am

Good idea, Job ter Burg. Unfortunately,I tried exporting stereo as well as just mono and got the same results. I'm not an audio expert, but it sounds like more than just phasing. There's also a digital stutter. It's a very messy sound.

Film Editor, London UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]