FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing audio-> Why does the file name change?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sum Choi
Importing audio-> Why does the file name change?
on Apr 28, 2013 at 12:56:56 am

When I import a wav file into Media Composer, it name in the bin becomes / followed by a number. For example, the name is changed to /64, /59. Why is this happening? I just want the name in my bin to be the same as the file name.

Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Importing audio-> Why does the file name change?
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:38:13 am

If there is metadata in the BWF file in the scene/take fields, MC will automatically rename the file to a more user friendly format. In your example, there is nothing in "scene", but something in "take". If you open these files in the free "WaveAgent" application from Sound Devices, you will see the metadata and can edit it accordingly.

If you add Source File and/or TapeID to one of your bin views, you will see the original file name. If you really need it in NAME, then highlight the column with the filename and do a command-D (Mac) or Control-D (Win) and select NAME from the pop-up dialog box. Clicking OK will replace all values in NAME with the contents from the column that was highlighted.

Keep in mind that there is no need to have the NAME be the name of the file in order to relink, make EDL's, or anything. You can change the name of that to more editor friendly terms like scene/take or other.

I find that many users who come over from FCP always leave that the filename for no real reason.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:39:48 am

Take a look at this video:
http://community.avid.com/blogs/mediacomposer/archive/2010/12/02/mc-019-str...

Although for RED, the audio sync workflow shown with BWF metadata is an example of how this all works. It may be 15 minutes in or so.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sum Choi
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:43:43 am

I have a question about an unrelated topic.
When I'm importing WAVs, it automatically creates a MXF file. Is that supposed to happen? I'm not even sure what a MXF file is supposed to do. But, it seems like my Pluraleyes doesn't work well with MXF files.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:59:59 am

MXF is a wrapper to the essence (video or audio codec) for example, Media Composer natively edits DNxHD video (codec) wrapped as MXF. But DNxHD can also be inside a QuickTime wrapper. Audio when imported, is MXF wrapped PCM.

You shouldn't be dragging the MXF files to PluralEyes, if that is what you're doing. The AAF you import into PluralEyes points to the media in the Avid MediaFiles folder. All it does is readjust the position of the picture sound elements and exports a new AAF that you bring back into MC.

Michael

Return to posts index

Sum Choi
on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:02:50 am

I'm not dragging MXF files to Pluraleyes. I import AAF files into Pluraleyes. But if I import WAV files into my Media Composer, it automatically creates the MXF. And, if I export my sequence as an AAF, so that it can be imported into Pluraleyes, isn't it almost the same as as dragging the MXF?

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:52:16 pm

AAF is a binary file format that describes "compositions" or sequences in Avid terms. That is why you are making a sequence first before sending to PluralEyes. A composition is comprised of metadata that describes the source elements used, and the relationship to each other amongst many other things. The AAF also points to the location of the mediafiles associated with it. PluralEyes uses the pointers to re-arrange the elements in the AAF according to sync, and send back and adjusted AAF. From there you create your sync sources as needed for editorial.

See my related comments to sync and PluralEyes in this recent thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/45/891544

Michael

Return to posts index

Sum Choi
on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:42:04 am

Thanks, it explains it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]