FORUMS: list search recent posts

sync external audio

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
sync external audio
on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:00:12 pm

I've got a whole shoot with about 40 takes that need to be synced with external audio.
There's a decent scratch audio on the video files, and everything has been properly slated.

What's the best way to sync the audio and video files up for each take?
And then can I "lock" them together so that they don't get out of sync accidentally during edit?

Thanks very much,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: sync external audio
on Apr 26, 2013 at 4:58:16 pm

Read the User Guide for AutoSync.

1. Is there common timecode? If so, select all picture and sound (in the same bin and AutoSync.

1b. In AutoSync settings to define where the common timecode exists (Start, AuxTC, etc.) choose to keep or replace the scratch track on the video and click. This creates a .sync subclip that now combines the two and will stay in sync, provide out of sync indicators, and still create EDL for each of the sources.

2. Smart Slate only on Picture, timecode on audio. Import BWF and duplicate START into AuxTC1. For video, enter timecode from slate for first frame of clip. Go back to 1b.

3. No Smartslate or common timecode. Mark and IN for each video and audio file for the clap close (Sync point). Go to 1b but use MARK IN as source. This can only be done one pair at a time.

There are external programs such as PluralEyes from Red Giant you can look into for the syncing process, but I find that for properly slated material, I can sync faster with any of the methods above. But in cases where there is no slate, then it can be a lifesaver.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:32:46 pm

Thanks, Michael, for your detailed reply.
I have a slate (not Smartslate) for each clip. I tried loading first the video into the source monitor, marking an IN at the clap, then loading it onto the timeline (v1, a1).

Then I loaded the external sound clip into the source monitor and did the same. Problem is I can't see the wave form in the source monitor for the sound clip, so my IN is not so accurate. So then when I load the audio into A2, it's slightly out of sync. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:42:39 pm

Some people sync in timeline, I don't if there is a clap.

1. Load video, mark IN on clap

2. Load audio, in timeline there is a button at the bottom that allows you to see timeline for source. It will be green when active. Set timeline settings to show waveforms for audio. Find clap, aurally and visually - Mark IN.

3. Hilight both V and A clips in bin (same bin) and select AutoSync from Bin menu. Use MARK IN as type of sync, etc. as per previous. Click OK. Result will be a .sync clip with name of original video.

4. Load .sync clip and you can verify sync aurally and visually while you have timeline in source view.

There are tricks to renaming if your BWF has metadata in it, etc. You can create a button to map your keyboard from the AutoSync menu. Makes it faster once settings are set to just hit key on keyboard and return on keyboard.

Michael

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:58:27 pm

Good results plural eyes here.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:16:03 pm

As I mentioned, I really like PluralEyes, but if there is a clap, I can usually sync as fast if not faster - but I certainly wouldn't discount it if you already own it. There certainly is a free trial to see if it will work better for you. If using PluralEyes, follow their directions for timeline creation, export AAF to the application, etc. Here are the steps you will have to do once you import the AAF back in to have sync subclips that show out of sync indicators and such:

Go through timeline and subclip each single take out as a single event sequence. The sequence can only contain 1 video and as many audio tracks as you want to keep. If you want to remove the the camera scratch track, do it manually. I can't recall what the subclip will look like if your timeline is V A3A4 because you deleted the scratch track which will be in A1A2. After marking IN and OUT for each take, make a subequence (the same process as a subclip) by either clicking in the record side monitor and option drag to the bin and rename the subsequence to whatever the original Scene/take name you want it to be. Do this for each "take" in the sequence. Once complete, highlight all the subsequences in the bin and do an AutoSync. This will just turn it into a subclip that now behaves like a subclip for editorial purposes. This is why in the end, I can sync faster with the method I outlined when there is a clap.

Michael

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Apr 30, 2013 at 1:45:04 am

Thanks again, Michael, for your detailed answers.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]