FORUMS: list search recent posts

No compression options available in Avid Meta Fuze

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy See
No compression options available in Avid Meta Fuze
on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:35:45 am

Hi,

I'm trying out Avid Meta Fuze for the first time in hopes that I can free up Avid while transcodes are going on (at least just to be able to look at bins if not something intensive like playing back sequences or digitizing tapes). I have a lot of GoPro material to transcode and I'm also hoping that some of the metadata and naming functionality features of metafuze can help me here too because the files are all identically named and shot at the same time of day for the same duration each from 5 gopros mounted in different parts of a vehicle. I've had to keep track previously through colour coding and descriptive bin names but having metadata embedded into the clips and filenames should help a lot.

Anyway I'm being thwarted by the lack of a field in the details pane called 'compression' which is what every user manual and online tutorial video mentions. I consequently can't make any decision about what type of files are going to come out of metafuze barring the output destination and a few format options like 1080p25 or 24 or 8bit and 10bit and 720p etc, no codecs or anything important like that. In troubleshooting I've come across people who use this software to transcode mp4 files and I can preview the clips in Meta Fuze, is there something I'm doing wrong? Where is the compression option?

The metafuze software version number is 2.5.0 and the machine is is an i7 processor at 4.5Ghz with 32GB ram on windows 7 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: No compression options available in Avid Meta Fuze
on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:51:10 am

As much I used MetaFuze when it first came out, I find myself using Resolve as my tool of choice for converting files into Avid native media.

Michael

Return to posts index

Jimmy See
on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:21:53 am

Resolve the grading software? Or is it something else? I was not aware of it to be honest. In any case I've figured it out now. It wasn't anything technical, either bad interface design or I just miss things that are staring me right in the face.

Basically in the output preset section which included ONLY information about frame size and frame rate in the preset names, you can choose any old preset you like doesn't matter and then below that there is another pane with further details about that preset. From there, there is a create button at the top of that pane and within that details pane there is the ability to define your own preset which includes a 'compression' field where you can select a codec. For some reason there are only 4 available options: uncompressed, DNXHD185, DNXHD120, and DNXHD120TR. It actually wasn't what I needed but the DNXHD120 might do I guess. Pretty limited and counterintuitive I hope the other abilities of this software make up for some frustrating stuff so far.

Tell me about Resolve

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:54:11 am

What other compression types were you expecting? Those are the Avid options for 50i source footage, AFAIK.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 26, 2013 at 12:44:20 pm

Resolve is a full color correction DI solution, but with the last version, there was a goal to make it work as a dailies system. It's free (for what you need it for), Mac and Windows, allows for LUTs, syncing, color correction, batch processing, and native MXF wrapped DNxHD. There are plenty of videos out there showing how to do it, just do a search with Resolve, dailies, etc.

Also, this whitepaper from Avid speaks to different workflows including Resolve:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources/documents/whitepapers/digital_camera/d...

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]