FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to export Apple Pro Res in Avid Media Composer 6.0.3.2

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicole Favale
How to export Apple Pro Res in Avid Media Composer 6.0.3.2
on Apr 26, 2013 at 2:05:41 am

I have Avid Media Composer 6.0.3.2 and I want to export with Apple Pro Res 422 settings, but there aren't any Apple Pro Res options under the export settings. Why? And is there any way to get around this? I need the Pro Res codec file for a certain project.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
Re: How to export Apple Pro Res in Avid Media Composer 6.0.3.2
on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:59:11 am

If you want to have ProRes under the Custom Quicktime export options, you would need to get the ProRes codec. I think you get it when you buy Compressor and/or FCP. But I would NOT go that way, since exporting to QT ProRes this way (using the QT engine) is guaranteed to give you unintended gamma changes.

The clean way to do it in MC6 Mac (no APR encoding on PC's thanks to Apple) is transcode or mixdown to APR inside MC, then export Same As Source.

So for instance, if it's a source clip, just select it in its bin, choose Clip->Consolidate/Transcode, choose Transcode, and select APR. Then export the resulting clip using File->Export->Quicktime->Same As Source.

If it's a sequence, either transcode the sequence (like you would the source clip), or just mark in and out and choose Special->Video Mixdown, choose APR as the compression type. Dupe the sequence, strip the video, add the mixdown, export same as source.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:51:04 am

If you're on pc, bad news.
I'm more than pissed with Apple blocking the game on prores and that way, puts users on bondage with their hardwares that they are not even able to upgrade the macpros to the today's standarts.
Not even talking about their funky
View on profesional nle with fcpx. That, combined with their wonderfull QT and what we got is the most ridiculous situation in any industry where everyone is using a brand that stopped to care of a niche it was leading, playing no clean games, and the cool factor starts to be less and less funny. Try One of those HP workstations and you'll see. But on those HPs, no prores writting. Untolerable!
I'm really pissed with Apple.
And not the only one...

Fred.

Return to posts index

Job ter Burg
on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:12:40 am

The wide adoption of ProRes amazes me to this day.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Apr 26, 2013 at 3:34:08 pm

"The wide adoption of ProRes amazes me to this day"

I truly believe its because the names of the various Pro Res flavors are simpler, and ProRes just sounds "cooler".

I mean, even advanced users of Avid have trouble figuring out all the crazy families and numbers associated with Avid DNXHD.

I get files all the time from people who don't even use FCP that are ProRes.

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:06:46 pm

The fact that prores had so much success is mainly due to the fact that it was the only option to handle the RGB from compo apps etc...
During some time, Apple that produces cool consumer equipments, became the dominant force of the entertainement industry, because of fcp. And it was well deserved. Avid was arrogant and expensive and Apple inundated the editorial houses, specially the small and middle size ones. But now, IMO, Apple has changed and deserves a serious kick in the ass. A codec that is almost a standart and no cross platform in 2013 is really not tolerable any longuer. I'n really sad for Aaton, they did the right thing with dnxhd, but they couldn't get the camera attractive enough.
I really hope this industry will switch back to peecees in the future. It's the caos, we need
Simplified workflows and cross-platform standarts.
Not One industry in the world
Would accept what actually happens
In motion imagery.
It'not normal that editors are
Spending 30% of their times
Dealing with solving formats
And roundtripping issues the
D.I.Y way instead of doing what
We are payed for: editing.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Nicole Favale
on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:33:10 pm

ok, thank you! I tried to do the mixdowns, and it gives me the option of Apple Pro Res 4444 MXF. Is this what you were talking about? However, this needs a ton of drive space. So I guess my main question is, am I able to export a file with the Pro Res codec and have it be small? The festival that needs it wants it under 3 GB. Is this even possible? I have a Mac, btw. Or, is there a free compressing program out there that I can use on an already exported file?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:18:23 am

Mac or PC?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved