FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to perform this ripple edit while not losing sync down my timeline and not cut up the music track?

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Is it possible to perform this ripple edit while not losing sync down my timeline and not cut up the music track?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:14:21 am

Hi all, sorry for the string of questions this past week. Really trying to work out my quibbles with Avid and learn the best way to approach operations that have given me fits for years.

This is a simple edit that I find myself needing to do quite often - I did it for a decade in FCP without thinking twice but not sure if I need to alter my train of thought in Avid or I'm just ignorant. I've got two interview bites back to back on V1/A1/A2 (see image below). I want to trim the head of my second bite to take out some dead air on the head but I have a music bed on A7/A8 that I want to remain where it is - I also have the rest of an hour show on this timeline as well that must stay in sync. Is there a way that I can single roller the head of this second interview bite while leaving the music bed on A7/A8 untouched AND keeping the rest of my timeline down stream from losing sync? When I try with sync locks on, it obviously gives me the system error sound. When I turn sync locks off and perform this edit, my audio for the rest of the show loses sync. When I turn off sync locks for just A7/A8, I lose sync for the rest of the show on A7/A8. Lets say it's a producer note that you get after a first cut, lose the dead air at the head of x's bite - you just need to make that edit but you want the rest of the show to stay the same, how would you perform this edit?

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk139/berobert/ScreenShot2013-04-24at740...

FCP / AVID EDITOR
Features : Television
http://www.DefiningFilms.com

Return to posts index

James Patterson
Re: Is it possible to perform this ripple edit while not losing sync down my timeline and not cut up the music track?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:24:08 am

Create new tracks solely for the music bed and keep the sync lock on the rest of the tracks.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
Re: Is it possible to perform this ripple edit while not losing sync down my timeline and not cut up the music track?
on Apr 25, 2013 at 10:54:45 am

Simplest thing in the world. - In the trim mode, with sync locks on, shift and click on the spacing at the end of the music track, shift and click twice (once for off, once for on) on one of the audio tracks of the sync clips. This brings the cursor and the monitoring back to the beginning of the sync clip.
The sync will be kept on the spacing and subsequent clips on audio 2,3, 4, and 5, and video 2 and 3.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Apr 25, 2013 at 2:43:29 pm

Genius - thank you. Clearly I was ignorant to anything beyond the basics of trim mode and I've been kludging through projects in Avid for years now like this.

Follow up question - how do you select what you're monitoring while in trim mode with this technique? After I select the edit I want to ripple roll, I choose the music track I want to extend as well but when I start to make my trim using slo-mo JKL, I get my music track playing back rather than picture or picture sound. Thank you sir - this is a major breakthrough for me in Avid as hilarious as that sounds.

FCP / AVID EDITOR

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:56:06 pm

Hi Bryan,
the monitoring is governed by two things, the first is the last thing you click on, (hence the click on and off in the last post), so if the trims are all offset, then if you click video last, then it will be that picture that is monitored, and the audio at the same place (where the blue timeline indicator is) likewise if audio is the last clicked, it will be that audio (with picture at that same place)
If you are doing a simultaneous trim of the in and out of the audio,(so that the overall time remains the same) you chose which audio to monitor by briefly putting your cursor over either the left or right monitor, which brings up a green indicator light under the trim frame counter between the monitors. Don't click on the monitor, or that will make it a one sided trim.
(To scrub the audio, Caps Lock must be on)

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Apr 25, 2013 at 5:55:38 pm

Yessir - I know about alternating which video source you want to monitor by hovering your mouse. It seems that when you have an audio track selected to be trimmed along with a video source that you're left with only the last click method for monitoring as the hovering doesn't do anything in that situation.

FCP / AVID EDITOR

Return to posts index

Juris Eksts
on Apr 25, 2013 at 4:41:27 pm

By the way, Alt + Trim Mode brings up the last combination of trims you had.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]