FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grouping GoPro in Avid 6.5

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Salinas
Grouping GoPro in Avid 6.5
on Apr 24, 2013 at 12:09:54 am

I am on Avid 6.5 and having problems with subclipping gopros. I am working in a 1080/23.97 project. The files that were shot in 23.98fps were AMA'd, while those that were shot in 29.97 were imported. The gopros that were AMA'd, the duration of the subclip are coming in longer than what it's suppose to be. The gopros that were imported, the duration is coming shorter than what it's suppose to be.

I changed all the original TCs to be unique, as well as the tape name for each clip. I have grouped some other footage with gopro and everything came out fine, so I am so confused as to how these specific clips could be any different. Is there a certain setting that was overlooked or perhaps a step that was missed when bringing in the clips? I didn't bring in any of this footage into Avid, so I am not completely sure of the process that was done, but this is what I was told.

Please help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
Re: Grouping GoPro in Avid 6.5
on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:16:29 am

Are you just comparing durations to see of they match? 23.976 and 29.97 will have different duration based on the math differences between 24 and 30 counts.

Also, are these all in the same project type? If so, if you transcode, the clips that don't match the project rate will turn into the project type. At that point they will all be at the same rate.

Michael

Return to posts index

Erin Salinas
on Apr 24, 2013 at 5:40:04 pm

Well, the subclips with the duration that is longer or shorter than what it's suppose to be are causing me to have dupes when I multigroup. All of the clips are being brought into the 1080p/23.97 project, then transcoded to 14:1. The clips that were shot in 29.97 were imported instead of AMA'd and is now reading as 23.98fps. I don't really know what else is so unique about these clips that make them not read correctly when subclipping. And it's only happening on some of the days, not all.

For example:
1. I have one add edit section with clips all of the same duration. All of the clips have a duration of 6:07:00, but the one gopro clip is at 4:53:18.

2. On another day with 4 clips total that is suppose to have the same duration, the main control camera has a duration of 4:19:00, gopro1 has a duration of 4:19:00, gopro2 has a duration of 5:24:07, and gopro3 has a duration of 5:24:06.

Does anyone know what is going on? Neither me, nor my lead, nor my post sup knows what's going on. Again, I am on Avid 6.5. We also tried grouping the same thing on Avid 5.5, and we're getting the same problem.

Erin C Salinas
TV Assistant Editor
Reality and Scripted

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 24, 2013 at 5:54:37 pm

Why are you shooting footage at 29.97 if you plan on grouping with 23.98? If you want to group clips, they all need to be shot at the same rate. The pulldown removal when importing 29.97 as 23.98 isn't great. Always best to import the footage in a project matching the frame rate shot, then bringing over the bins to the main project.

Of course, when you do that you'll have two frame rates and cannot group them. But the way you are doing it now results in horrid looking pulldown.

Question: The different duration footage...does it play normal speed? Or faster or slow motion?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Erin Salinas
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:02:30 pm

The reason is being that I am sure one of the camera people in production does not know how to use a GoPro. But all the clips seem to be playing at normal speed. I told my lead that the cameras shot in 29.97 needs to be brought into a 29.97 project, but he argued against it saying that we need the footage to be at 23.98. I don't know. I obviously didn't really believe him that's why I turned to creative cow.

Erin C Salinas
TV Assistant Editor
Reality and Scripted

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:09:49 pm

In order to be grouped with 23.98 footage, it has to be 23.98. You cannot group it if you bring it in 29.97.

Bring in the problem clips into a 29.97 project. See if the 23.98 version of the footage is missing parts.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Erin Salinas
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:31:36 pm

I stand corrected. I just looked at the raw footage at some of the gopros were actually shot in 59.94. I told my lead that these shots need to be brought into the 59.94 project and that I can't group them with the 23.98 stuff. He said that he brought them in the 23.98 project to convert them to 23.98. These are the clips that are subclipping with the shorter duration.

Regardless of that, I still have footage that was shot in 23.98, brought into the 23.98 project, and are subclipping with a longer duration.

It's freakishly confusing.

Erin C Salinas
TV Assistant Editor
Reality and Scripted

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 24, 2013 at 6:32:32 pm

Although you are editing in a 23.976 NTSC project, you still need to manage the assets for an eventual link back to the original higher rez originals. Open 29.97 material in a 29.97 project. Then open that bin in the 23.976 project. Transcoding that to 14:1 will convert it to a 23.976 source clip with some form of 2:3 removal or frame rate conversion if 29.97p (won't be the best looking). At the end of the process you will end up with ALL footage at 23.976 at the same "playback" duration of the original clips. meaning that 1 minute of 29.97 media will still be 1 minute of 23.976 +/- 1 frame due to frame rates and such. Timecode will be adjusted as well.

But keep in mind that when transcoding across frame rates, you will get a big warning. Read it carefully. There will be no links to the original footage. I would recommend that you transcode first to a finishing quality 23.976 like DNxHD 115 in a 1080p/23.976 project, then go and transcode from those to 14:1 in the NTSC 23.976. That way you can relink back to final mastering quality.

Michael

Return to posts index

Fred Gasc
on Apr 25, 2013 at 12:05:41 pm

Indeed. Transcode first at finishing quality according to Michael's advice.

Fred.

Return to posts index

Erin Salinas
on Apr 25, 2013 at 7:38:22 pm

Thank you all. I will try that with the 59.94 clips, but that doesn't explain the 23.98 clips. Those are the ones where the duration is coming in longer.

Erin C Salinas
TV Assistant Editor
Reality and Scripted

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 25, 2013 at 8:41:05 pm

If this is multicam, if you mark an IN and OUT on synced frames of action in each of the clips, what the IN-OUT duration of your marks say?

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]