FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade to 7.0 - Only free for people as of April 7????

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Harris
Upgrade to 7.0 - Only free for people as of April 7????
on Apr 22, 2013 at 9:51:27 pm

Does it seem right that the only people who get a free upgrade to version 7.0 are those who purchase an upgrade as of April 7? What about the faithful who have paid for upgrades in the past? Come on AVID... give your loyal customers a break instead of just newcomers or late bloomers.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Upgrade to 7.0 - Only free for people as of April 7????
on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:07:27 pm

Yes. It's how it's always been. If you upgrade close to April 7, you might try dropping them a line. In the past they've been very generous in this respect. Otherwise, sure, it's a new version that required significant time and R&D. I'll pay to upgrade.

Richard Sanchez
Los Angeles, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 22, 2013 at 10:34:15 pm

Avid MC 7 doesn't come out for months yet. Summer I believe. So, if you buy Avid MC 6.5 from April 7 until it comes out...it's free. If you bought it before that date, it's a paid upgrade.

There has to be a cut off date for free upgrades. They can't let it go for free, they need to pay for R&D and labor and all that...unless you want them to have even worse money troubles. So if you bought MC 6.5 in December, or last year...or Feb 2012...then when MC 7 hits in June or July...whenever it comes out, you need to pay the paltry $299 upgrade cost. Makes perfect sense to me. $299 is nothing nowadays. Made up in a day of editing...or a week if your rates are low.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on May 4, 2013 at 1:44:36 pm

Yes Shane but !
We're always facing the 'upgrade dilemma' :
• don't want to upgrade too soon and enter bugland
but then early upgrades sometimes come cheaper so why wait and pay more later?
• and in this case, if you've upgraded too early, pay next upgrade full price...
Of course, as you pointed out, we're talking of the income of roughly a day of editing or so, but in the end it's that extra day that makes it into your pocket or not!
Don't you agree?
Wouldn't it be nice if one knew what the logic behind upgrade pricing policy was?
Like "the early (commited and 'risk-taking') buyers always get the best price' for instance?

You kindly answered a queery of mine a few weeks back about wether I should buy a nitris dx or not.
In that particular matter (i.e. having bought a mojo sdi at well over 2k then, a few years later, a mojo sdi at well over 4k here in Paris because there was nothing else at that time that would decently run hd with mc. Only to learn a few months later that Avid was opening up to much cheaper third party i/o hardware, and then a couple of years later that mojo sdi was no longer supported!) so, in that particular matter, I really feel ripped off...

Best,
TImothy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 4, 2013 at 7:51:05 pm

[Timothy Miller] "Of course, as you pointed out, we're talking of the income of roughly a day of editing or so, but in the end it's that extra day that makes it into your pocket or not!"

Well, I always charge an amount that covers me, and any overhead that might need to happen....like new equipment purchases. If you hire me and my equipment, it's a different amount than hiring me. That extra amount goes towards paying off the equipment, and then eventually, saving up to upgrade that equipment when the time arises. If you don't charge a fee for your equipment....you're cheating yourself.

If I am hired only...hired to work at a company...then only I get paid. I use all of that money for my daily expenses...not for equipment. So if I was hired for a year, only me...then no money went towards upgrading. But I do side work, so I have that money flow.

[Timothy Miller] "Wouldn't it be nice if one knew what the logic behind upgrade pricing policy was?"

Why is it our business? It's the business of the company and the stock holders. But know that they must charge SOMETHING. I mean, there are people working there that kinda like getting paid for all the hard work they do. Really...$299 for an upgrade? $249? Even $500. I mean, they are charge $999 for the FULL version! I think that 1/3 of that for an upgrade is fine...even half. They did a lot of work.

Were you around when Avid cost $65,000 - $125,000? When upgrades were $50,000? Imagine that... 'Hmm....a new house, or an Avid?" "A new sports car, or an upgrade on my Avid?" Now it's like the cost of Starbucks coffee for two months. Or ONE DAY'S PAY. Not a yearly salary.

Why can Apple release all these free updates? iPhone/iPad is carrying Apple, they can do that. They are the single most profitable company in the world! Avid isn't in the same boat.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on May 6, 2013 at 5:21:50 am

Dear Shane,
Don't get me wrong, of course I consider a company -namely Avid- is out there to make a profit and is entitled to make us pay for upgrades that only exist because of costly r&d. What I was pointing out though is the feeling of buying a lottery ticket each time I upgrade - too early or too late...
I am a very enthusiastic Avid user and have been so from the start as I was associated with the company which bought the second MC system here in Paris in what was it, 1990? At that time and for several years on, not only was I thrilled with the possibilities of the machine -was it already eight audio tracks ?- which really offered the perspective of a second editing life after ten years of cutting on 3/4 inch and spending hours in 10 k a day online suites but, as many others, I turned into a passionate Avid promoter and would-be salesman. I can remember the long sessions during which I would convince production managers of the pros of paying something like three to four times the price for the offline...
Maybe you were doing the same thing at that time?
Ever since then I have been keen on MC improvements, have became an Avid workshop trainer and have remained an advocate and fan!
But, I remember for instance Avid-stamped hard drive pricing policy - much similar in my opinion to Apple's ram and ssd pricing ; I remember the time when Avid was sitting on their laurels and had us all in their grasp ; I remember when Avid dropped the Mac only to, thank god!, continue to support it ; I remember how FCP thankfully spurred Avid into climbing down from its laurel mattress and addressing our demands ; and most recently, I remember my dearly paid Mojo sdi becoming obsolete overnight...
So, much as I am willing to pay for improvements to my NLE system of choice and much as I would be happy to pay even more for more improvements, I feel a healthy company / customer relationship is based on sound commercial practices (hope that is the correct word, my english is kinda' rusty!). Not knowing whether the early bird upgrader will be advantaged or penalised is not, I think, a sound commercial policy.

Just to reassure you, hiring me with my equipment is not the same as hiring me without it. But just because I am in France, my equipment only just pays for itself... Which is fair enough as my business is editing not running a post house and at least I have the pleasure of owning and often working with a very nice set-up.

All the best to you in L.A.

Timothy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 6, 2013 at 7:13:03 am

AH...so you've been here for the long haul. Sorry, there was no way of knowing...pardon me.

Avid used to be horrid about upgrades. Lately I feel they have improved.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Timothy Miller
on May 6, 2013 at 7:51:25 am

No offense made !

Of course, if I held an 'only-half-as-impressive-as-yours' blog you might have known.
Over here such blogs aren't so common and I have to confess I don't really have the time. What between my work, my kids, my life...
I really don't know how you manage and, to say the truth, I am pretty admirative.

Keep on the good work and bravo for your involvement !

Best,
Timothy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]