FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to switch between Overwrite and Ripple edits in trim mode w/ the smart tool after lasso-ing an edit...

COW Forums : Avid Media Composer

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
How to switch between Overwrite and Ripple edits in trim mode w/ the smart tool after lasso-ing an edit...
on Apr 22, 2013 at 8:17:37 pm

I am a smart tool user - the one annoying thing I can't figure out is if I have all 5 smart tool options activated and I have say, lassoed an edit point between two clips that both have V1/A1/A2 tracks, how to go from a double roller trim to the overwrite (red) or ripple (yellow) trim roller without disabling or enabling these in my smart tool selection box? In other words, I normally lasso an edit to go into trim mode when my clips have several tracks of media rather than selecting each individually - I then click in the left or right hand monitor to change it to single roller trim mode but it seems to always default to ripple (yellow) when both ripple and overwrite rollers are selected in the smart tool... but what if I want an overwrite roller in that instance? The only way I've found around this is to disable the yellow roller in my smart tool if I want to use the red roller but there must be a more intuitive way via modifier key or location clicking, right?

FCP / AVID EDITOR
Features : Television
http://www.DefiningFilms.com

Return to posts index

James Beattie
Re: How to switch between Overwrite and Ripple edits in trim mode w/ the smart tool after lasso-ing an edit...
on Apr 23, 2013 at 12:16:00 am

The tools are Vertically selected. Try making your video track larger (by selecting the tracks, then pressing Ctrl+L or Command +L). Then move vertically at the edit point.

You should see it select Red or Yellow based on your mouse position.

James Beattie
ACSR Elite/Avid ACI, Apple Certified Technician

Consulting for Workflow and Digital Technologies at Comprehensive Technical Group

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
Re: How to switch between Overwrite and Ripple edits in trim mode w/ the smart tool after lasso-ing an edit...
on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:28:22 am

Yessir, I totally understand this. I'm talking about a way to select either red roller or yellow roller in some other fashion. I typically have my video tracks just a bit smaller so trying to navigate to the top or bottom of a clip is a pain so I was using the method of selecting the video in the left or right window when in trim mode to select single roller trim mode. Is there a technique similar to going to the top half or bottom half of a clip in your timeline but for clicking the left or right monitor? I've tried the top or bottom half of those video windows with no luck and tried modifier keys to no avail. I'm assuming there must be some other way...

FCP / AVID EDITOR

Return to posts index

James Patterson
on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:33:27 am

There isn't a way to do it as you suggest (I don't think?) and I don't know what you would benefit by having it work that way as it's easier to do all of those actions with key commands than moving the mouse to the the monitors. When in trim mode I find very little reason to use the mouse by having commands set up for trim left/right/move to next edit etc. Than activating/de-activating ripple or overwrite isn't a problem as my hands are already on the keyboard.

I guess what you would need is a modifier key such as holding alt whilst clicking on the left or right monitor causing ripple and not pressing causes overwrite. Maybe you could set this up with a 3rd party keyboard macro/hotkey app.

Best

Paddy

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:44:29 pm

Have you tried mapping the SmartTools individual buttons to keys and just using those as needed for the type of trim/edit you want?

Michael

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:37:24 pm

yea there already mapped. Shift A,S,D,F respectivly along with P,[,] with shuttle through the different smart tools and how the effect the clip ie; one-sided/double-roller.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:38:54 pm

forgot to add holding "ALT" during a trim will make it an overwrite vs insert trim as well.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - The Esquire Network - NBC/Uni

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:30:48 pm

Ah, thanks for all the insight guys. Didn't realize we had smart tool selections mappable at all. Looks like I'll be shift+F'ing it from now on :)

FCP / AVID EDITOR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]